Mole grips for 40mm nut

Do large mole grips like these open wide enough to grasp a 40mm diameter nut?

Jay

Should be OK.

Reply to
newshound

I would say no, the jaw angle will be too wide to grip effectively.

A pair of Stillsons would be my choice.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

With pump pliers perhaps as a second choice.

Reply to
Fredxx

My one of a similar length with straight jaws open to a maximum of around 30mm

Reply to
alan_m

Why is it called a pair?

Reply to
GB

+1
Reply to
RobH

It depends on the nut. Stillsons are fine for old plumbing fittings that you do not care much about but I would not use them on my car. I do own an adjustable spanner that might go that large. I originally bought it for 22mm copper pipe fittings.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Actually see one of the customer answers on the amazon site but remember that 40mm across flats is 46.2 across corners. To get to the flats with a rounded jaw mole grip the corners may get in the way.

Quote Draper Redline 67823 225 mm Curved Jaw with Self Grip Pliers

Question: What is the maximum diameter this will hold Answer: A fantastic tool which I just couldn't do without! The maximum width of the jaws opening at the tip is 5.4 cm. The maximum width between the centres of the curves is 4.5 cm which is probably the most useful measurement. Hope this was helpful.

Is you 40mm across the flats of the nut or accros

Reply to
alan_m

I have to say I use an adjustable spanner of very large type but its hard if its in an awkward site, but since somebody hasto have done it up....

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

+1 I have purchased large sockets in the past for car wheel nuts. While these could be bodged off you need to put them back on with the correct torque setting :)
Reply to
alan_m

I have a variety of odd large sockets up to 46mm, I remember I bought one many moons ago for my minivan steering wheel nut! :-)

However plumbing requires open ended spanners, you can't use sockets unfortunately. I have acquired quite a collection of large open ended spanners over the years and I can fit *most* plumbing compression fittings but I'm still occasionally stumped.

One useful set I have is a set of 'crows foot' spanners with 3/8" square drive, often the only practical way to get at inacessible fittings.

Reply to
Chris Green

Surely the same applies to Mole grips?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Trying to think of any car that needed the purchase of a large socket for the wheel nuts, that doesn't come in the average socket set. Perhaps some very old types with centre lock wheels?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

I will never understand why the across flats size on seemingly similar plumbing fittings varies so much. There really should be a standard size for all 1/2" etc fittings.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

The OP never mentioned what the 40mm nut was on. A plumbing fitting he would probably manage with mole grips but if it is say part of an engine or such like then he will need something more substantial. I recall taking the nut holding a crankshaft sprocket off a Hillman Avenger, that needed a socket , T - bar and a substantial piece of piping to extend the handle before that shifted.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Perhaps he means wheel bearing nuts? That was what was being discussed.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Agreed. Though actually a mole wrench can do quite a good job on that sort of nut, with a couple of provisos. First, it's no good if it is masked by a pulley or similar, it must be in the plane of the nut (if you see what I mean). Second, you need to grip on the curved part of the jaws, with them set as tightly as you can manage. This *will* cause plastic deformation of the nut faces and corners, but if you do it tight enough it should not slip. Third, your "cheater" pipe must be a reasonably good fit around the handle of the mole. Fourth, you must put the mole on the "right way round" so that the cheater is bearing on the "palm" side of the wrench, not the "fingers" side (otherwise slippage can release the over centre toggle).

Reply to
newshound

Yes, sorry wheel bearing nuts

Reply to
alan_m

REPOSTING: It's for a tight plastic nut on a toilet inlet valve.

Thought I might get some large Mole grips but ordered plumbers slip joint pliers instead.

Reply to
Jay