Guttering

I am getting enormous grief from SWMBO over a couple of bits of guttering that have managed to get themselves unclipped. We've asked a couple of local roofy-type people to pop over and sort them but I think it's too pathetic a small job for them to nbother turning up for :(

Trouble is our 1930s house has quite a big overhang of the roof and when I tried to get to one problem area I really couldn't safely get to it even though I've got a ladder stay. The other one is at the front of the house but right on a corner which again is really hard to get a ladder to (again, safely IMHO). Any tips, tools or techniques for dealing with this? I guess I really should try to DIY but I don't fancy plunging 30ft onto concrete if I don't take the right approach...

RB

Reply to
rburr49

A scaffolding, maybe you could get away with an aluminum tower that you can erect yourself and get from a local tool hire shop. I had one recently that was around 85GBP a week. Clipping new gutter is not easy, I had a fight with mine on the ground, old gutter may have gone brittle and crack.

Reply to
Cod Roe

ive got a car tow rope tied round a chimney and a climbing harness but it still scares me - half of all building accidents are falls...

-- and my back still aches after the last one!

george

Reply to
George (dicegeorge)

A well propped and tied scaffolding tower is probably indicated here.

I bought one for the purpose, and made a wood platform with standoffs so that it couldn't fall TOWARDS the wall.

A bit of rope through an open window and a bar across the frame behind stops it falling AWAY.

You can buy/hire ladders with standoff tops as well.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Whereabouts are you? I do this for a living, and have a scaffold tower, which would seem to be the only safe way of rectifying the problem. Is it just that they have come unclipped? If they have come unclipped, then the clips/brackets will probably need changing anyway, as they must be worn. I'm presuming this is a plastic gutter - cast iron ones corrode away, but usually the corrosion binds the gutter to the bracket, so they dont come off. Galvanised brackets are the worst for breaking I think. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

Hi - we're near Esher in Surrey. I reckon somebody in the know would shin up a ladder but knowing my DIY luck I will find all kinds of other issues when I get up there that require attention :(

Mark

Reply to
rburr49

Cherry picker?

Reply to
Tony Bryer

's word, at times have been wonderfully delighted and affected at the sight of a Bible; and then, also, there was no time so prized as the Lord's day, and no place in this world so desired as God's house. Our converts then remarkably appeared united in dear affection to one another, and many have expressed much of that spirit of love which they felt toward all mankind; and particularly to those who had been least friendly to them. Never, I believe, was so much done in confessing injuries, and making up differences, as the last year. Persons, after their own conversion, have commonly expressed an exceeding great desire for the conversion of others. Some have thought that they should be willing to die for the conversion of any soul, though of one of the meanest of their fellow-creatures, or of their worst enemies; and many have, indeed, been in great distress with desires and longings for it. This work of God had also a good effect to unite the people's affections much to their minister.

There are some persons whom I have been acquainted

Reply to
rburr49

The message

from rburr49 contains these words:

the retailers are excellent people to deal with. Murch cheaper than buying direct from the manufacturer.

Reply to
Appin