Painting outside of house

Another job long outstanding is to repaint our half-rendered (the 1st
floor bit) house. It's about 100m2 and geneally accessible apart from
one bit over a neighbours covered walkway. I'm trying to decide
whether this is worth doing as DIY or better to pay someone for the
hassle - any suggestions on what sort of figure would be reasonable?
If we DIY it I assume that doing it off ladders would be too laborious
and that hiring a tower would be most practical? Presumably wire-brush
all over and then paint on - brush (or can you roller/spray
render)?...
RB
Reply to
rburr49
Get prices off loal painters
If you mention the guttering once he's started work, he'll probably do it for nothing.
Reply to
Phil L
In message , Phil L writes
Oh yes, painters/builders/handymen really love people who add extra 'little' jobs on after they've quoted. ;-)
Reply to
Si
=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 = snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 pam is missing e-mail
OBW?
Reply to
mark.hannah
In message , snipped-for-privacy@totalise.co.uk writes
Oh, BTW I think - it's another of those annoying TLAs
hth
Reply to
Si
Sounds like we have the best way to do both the guttering problem and the outside painting in one go by hiring a tower.
Can anyone suggest how long it might take 2 of us to prepare and paint the 100m2 of 1st floor render?
Also are there any tips? Should we set the access tower, pwire brush, fill and then paint each section and move to the next bit or is it better to go round the whole thing preparing and then round again painting?
RB
Reply to
rburr49
Unless you have time to let each painted section dry *completely* before preparing the next, you're certain to get dust and crap all stuck in the paint.
Do what he said, go round twice.
Can't say how long it'll take because it depends how fiddly the tower is to move (or strip down/rebuild) and whether you have the clear space to wheel it about or have to work around sheds and fences and move lots of random stuff out of the way.
Reply to
PCPaul
Don't bother, btrush on a pole followed by roller on a pole. No tower needed really.
No difference.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher
In message , Dave Liquorice writes
Overweight Beerswillers? Obverse Banquets? Olfactory Bulbs? Open Boxes? ???
Reply to
Si
In message , Andy Wade writes
Outside Broadcasts W agon?
I'm clearly too thick, or high on fence preservative this morning.
Reply to
Si
OK we should be OK with the tower except on the neighbours side where they have a covered walkway - I'm looking to see if two towers plus a deck will do there - otherwise I think the wirebrush/roller/stick method might have to be employed for one section.
Are these towers easy to assemble and erect? 1 man job? 2 man job? more?
We can do back and one side without dismantling tower. Half of front over porch can probably be done most easily using ladders, side will be tower in neighbour's garden. Assuming 2/3 of us doing the work can we get it done over an Easter weekend?
RB
Reply to
rburr49
I'll opt the the latter. B-)
OBW - The factor that one has to increase ones available resources by to be able to cope with the "Oh, By the Way, I know we said ... but now we want to ...".
It's reasonably common for small words not to be included in abbreviations, though I can't think of any well know ones off the top of me 'ed.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Site Timeline Threads