Size for wood rails for fence

Would 3" x 1" inch rails be sufficient for a fence. Or should I use 3 x 2 inch? Vertical slats with a slight gap between the slats. Max height 6 feet. Posts 6 feet apart. thanks

Reply to
ss

ex 3" arris rails would be stiffer and the conventional approach. Self draining too

Reply to
Bob Minchin

It depends on the purpose of the fence. If it is ornamental, it can be as light as you like. If it is to keep something/one in/out, it needs to be stronger.

Also depends on how windy it is.

Reply to
harry

I used 4x2 cross rails with4 x 1 slats, aprox 1" between each slat, and another row behind cross rail ...staggered

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Just to improve privacy, I have a hedge at the back of the fence but foliage disappears in Winter, and a road beyond that. Wind factor normally is ok except when we get any storms (Scotland). Crime rate low so I dont expect intruders.

Reply to
ss