Copper tube - standards and quality

I have no complaints with BES copper tube which is:

BS 2871 : Part 1 : Table X (EN 1057 half hard). Kitemarked.

However I could do with some soon, and ToolStation have a slight discount. Theirs is:

BS EN1057 2006 R250

Is that the same or crappier quality? I have a vague memory of quality issues mentioned on here some while back...

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim Watts

I've just completed a job using toolstation copper tube. Marked as EN1057 Wednesbury TM and BSI kitemarked.

No issues with it, bent readily without kinks etc

I can't see any reference to "2006 R250" on the pack or the tube itself.

From what I read here a while back, the table X (and table Y) is an older way of specifying it and the EN standard the newer version.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

R250 is half hard and the modern equivalent of Table X.

R290 is fully hard (Table Z) and R220 is fully annealed (Table W)

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

On Saturday 04 May 2013 19:56 Nightjar wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Thanks - that's useful.

So - BS2871 (blah) is the same as BS EN1057 2006 R250?

Reply to
Tim Watts

IIRC, BS EN 1057 allows a wider range of wall thickness, although I suspect that is mainly because it has to incorporate all the previous national standards.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

But I think TS only sell 2m and 3m is more useful IMHO. 2m is unlikely to go floor to ceiling or wall to wall without a join, so I find it quicker to use 3m and not spend time jointing it. YMMV.

Reply to
Fred