Joining 11mm copper tube

I have to butt join two pieces of what measures as 11mm o.d. copper tube. This is on an old Saunier Duval heat exchanger used for providing hot water on boat.

Soldering is NOT one of my strong suites though I could manage a Yorkshire fitting if one was available or at a pinch a non pre-soldered alternative.

A compression fitting would be perfect.

Googling throws up nothing suitable so perhaps I am searching for the wrong thing.

Is anything like this available or what other alternatives would I have ?

Thanks in advance

Reply to
fred

Soldering pipes is very easy so long as they are clean and dry. End feed is no harder than solder ring IME.

Another option would be a flaring tool to open the end of one pipe to allow the other to be inserted and soldered.

You might even be able to get away with a bit of flat sheet cut and wrapped round then soldered in place.

Reply to
John Rumm

Brass fittings solder fine, so how about getting a 10mm compression fitting, throwing away the nuts and olives, drilling out both ends and using it as a capillary solder fitting? I have a vague memory of doing something similar one time for an odd size pipe.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

This is on an old Saunier Duval heat exchanger used for providing hot wate r on boat.

Maybe 7/16". Try BES, they do imperial sizes in compression, probably solde r as well. It's used in the US, most refrigeration fittings are made in the US and refrigeration pipe is imperial sizes.

Failing that, get 10mm capilliary copper solder fittings; anneal. They wi ll be as soft as tin foil and can be stretched with a drift or by inserting a mandrel rolled up to a suitable diameter. Re-anneal as required as it wo rk hardens. Pickle in HCL to remove tarnish.

Reply to
Onetap