11mm osb flooring (loft?)

I see that 11mm osb is frequently used for flooring in "budget" sheds - is it good enought for putting down in the loft (storage and access only)?

It is about £10 per 8x4 panel in B&Q - so would be cheaper than T&G or chipboard and lighter?

Reply to
Geo

IMO no.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

OSB is not suitable for flooring ... esp at typical joist spacing's.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

In article , Geo writes

For, as you say, storage and access only I would say yes. The fact that it is less robust than thicker materials should act as a reminder not to overload the ceiling members.

Reply to
fred

In article , fred writes

ps: If you need to cut it down to get it into the loft then get B&Q to cut it for you, the first 4 cuts are free. Allow 3mm loss per cut due to the saw blade width.

Reply to
fred

I assumed by 'access' that the OP might be walking on it.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

What's the problem with it?

NT

Reply to
NT

Not strong enough unless supported well.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I thought so too but for access to the storage only, perhaps only on hands & knees. 18mm osb would have been absolutely solid & my thoughts were that the tiny bit of give that 11mm would give (surprised it's not

12mm) on even 600mm centres would remind the o/p not to overload ceiling members that aren't really made for heavy loads.
Reply to
fred

What's the problem with it?

11mm OSB at 600c/s ... simply too much give in the sheet.
Reply to
Rick Hughes

Would the suggested 12mm be the right choice on top of 100mm Celotex/Kingspan that is sitting on original loft flooring or would 9mm be perfectly adequate for light weight storage (suitcases, decorating kit and the like)?

Mike

Reply to
mailveil13-usenet

For that sort of load the celotex alone (sitting on original flooring would be more than adequate, as long as you aren't planning to hold a dance on it.

Reply to
<me9

OK - thanks for the replies - trusses are at 24" centres so will be using 18mm (16mm finished) T&G from B&Q for the access area.

Although the website said the 11mm OSB was in stock I could not find any to try

- will probably use some for the "storage only" areas (mostly empty cardboard boxes for things with 3-5 year warranties).

And if 24" is standard joist spacing why do all the floorboards leave me with

10" wastage per board -
Reply to
Geo

In article , snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com writes

Sorry for the late reply.

Given the low cost of 12mm OSB I wouldn't go below that, it's light and easily cut so very manageable.

I wouldn't suggest using Celotex or similar without a load spreader above, it's printed on every sheet that it specifically should not be relied on in that manner and it's just like skating on thin ice, sometimes you'll get away with it and just once you'll go through and regret it.

Reply to
fred

Thanks Fred, that is exactly the route I had decided on and am placing an order tomorrow to be delivered with the Celotex from a local independent.

I found the cheapest place on the Internet, took him the quote for 20 sheets and he knocked off 10%. From one place I think top whack was £850 - his price is £635. So there are big savings to be had.

Mike

Reply to
mailveil13-usenet