Varnish or similar for OSB flooring ?

HI All

Regular readers might remember the saga of the new shed/workshop/STUDIO.......

Mr Shedman and the Irish Spring have connived to actually get a long enough break in the clouds and successfully finish the torched-on felt roofing - so now fitting out the interior can re-start.

The internal walls are being clad in 11mm OSB, finished with paint. (We'll see how the final finish looks - there's always the option of cladding the cladding with plasterboard, if necessary....)

The floor is t&g OSB, sitting on poly foam slabs - feels firm & warm. Don't really want any additional floor covering - but need to do something to 'seal' the surface of the OSB....

so - today's question is - can anybody recommend a suitable non-slip, easily cleaned, hard-wearing finish to go on top of the OSB ? Years ago I used something called Bourneseal on top of cork tiles - but I'm guessing that there;s something better available nowadays...?

Generics or tradenames welcome........

TIA Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

warm.

non-slip,

nowadays...?

My home workshops floors (1100 sq foot) are concrete overlain with

19mm osb which I have painted with Screwfix floorpaint. This has been down several years and stood up to a lot of traffic and moving machines of well over a ton at times. Occassional scuffs just get overpainted. If you want it to be really non slip consider mixing in dry sandpit sand, but I've never had a problem with slippery floors.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking more along the lines of some form of transparent 'seal'

- it's not going to get very hard wear / dirt etc - just to stop the inevitable muddy footprints from getting ingrained into the timber...

Regards Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

The Screwfix floor paint is hard-wearing and good VFM, but be careful - on smooth surfaces it can dry to a very slippery finish. My workshop floor is chipboard, and the first time I stepped in with wet boots was damn nearly my last.

A workshop is no place for a slippery floor, so do plan to mix some fine, dry, sieved sand into the final coat. It is quite slow drying, so give it more than one day between coats, followed by a whole week to fully harden.

Reply to
Ian White

Bourne Seal is still around and very good it is too. It's an Oleo Resinous seal, Bourne Seal is the best known brand name. Be ideal for OSB as it sinks into timber rather than forming a surface coating. Easy to recoat wear patches as well.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Think I used some of this stuff on an oak block floor a couple of houses ago - seriously 'heady' smell from the stuff - but it did go off like rock !

It's a possibility....

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Ah - not what I was wanting.....

Don't really want a 'slip hazard' when handling sheets of glass - or even stuff straight out of the kiln....

Hmm - don't want to wait that long ! (Impatient - me ?? )

Thanks for the warning...

A neighbour up the road used some of the Screwfix stuff, left it a week to go off, and then parked a car on it...

Overnight he ended up with four little concrete 'typeprints' where the pressure of the tyres had lifted off the paint. Not a happy bunny !

Think something lower-tech might be the solution

Thanks Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Ah - that's interesting....

So if I get 'blank looks' over here from the local Builders Providers ..... it's the oloeoresinous bit that I need to look for...

Thanks Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Similar concept but different product...

I built a ramp for the garden for my father to be able to navigate either an electric buggy or walk himself up the height of a couple of steps. Slopes are easier for him than steps and the point was to be able to do either unaided apart from a stick etc.

Criteria were that the finish should be quite hard wearing, weather resistant and have little or no risk of slipping as well as having a reasonable appearance.

I used some non-slip deck coating obtained from Screwfix. (45907) This is a quite heavy grade of varnish, not too glossy. It darkened the wood a little.

It's lasted outside for three years and still looks as good as the first day. There's no slippage but it doesn't appear rough to the eye either.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Still alive and well and in use - you could try a caretaking/cleaning supplies firm - expect to pay GBP 25 or so for 5L. When I use it in schools and church halls it is then sealed with a polish such as a Johnson Careferr metallised Polish which protects the Bourne Seal and when worn is easier and cheaper to re-coat (applied with a mop) Although called a polish it is not slippery when wet.

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm Race