Lining a shed.... suggestions please ?

Hi All

Mr Shedman has finally managed to erect the sides & roof of my new shed - aka Stained Glass studio.

Apart from a minor up-c*ck due to the temporary plastic covering on the roof blowing off in a F8 Gale and soaking the new mdf flooring (yes, I know, I shouldn't be so impatient !) - I'm now considering how best to line out the inside of the studio.

Main aim is to have a internal surface that can be easily decorated, to get the maximum amount of light....

Currently there's just the studwork and black damp-proof membrane visible - and the place looks like a bit of a cave !

I was considering using plasterboard on the walls. There will be things like kilns, blowtorches and soldering irons in use - so a (reasonably) non-combustible lining material would seem like a good plan - I was also going to re-use some recycled ceramic tiles around and underneath the area where the kiln is sited.

Can't think of a better material than plasterboard - but though I'd ask just in case anybody has any better suggestions

Many thanks in advance Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

I've internally lined a brickbuilt garage, a cabin and a shed.

For all of them, I either used pressure treated timber or a solvent based preservative first - not the mimsy watery stuff. Clear Cuprinol is good for this.

I then used 50mm Celotex between the studs making sure of a 25mm gap behind for ventilation. This has a vapour barrier both sides. In order to allow ventilation for the gap, I fitted small round ventilators into soffits and near the bottoms of the walls. If there were no membrane immediately behind the outer wood, it wouldn't be necessary since the gaps in the timber would provide enough ventilation.

For the garage and the shed, I clad the walls internally with 18mm ply and then painted it white. I also wanted plenty of reflection of light. The advantage of ply vs. plasterboard is not only general strength but also that one can fit small to medium sized items directly to it without consideration of the strength of fixing.

Heavier items like cupboards and shelves are fitted to studs.

Heaviest items, such as my dust extractor (130kg) are bolted to substantial horizontal timber members in turn bolted to the studs.

I don't see a particular flammability problem provided that one protects the areas around items that are going to get hot and remain so when you aren't there. You could overlay the ply with Masterboard or Knauf fire retardent board for those areas, or ceramic tiles.

For wall cupboards and shelves, I have used a modular system to build them, whereby they are in units of 1,2,3 and so on wide. They are attached to the walls using French cleats to allow for wuick relocation if I need to alter layout or design. These are easy to do. A strip of wood is ripped on the table saw at

45 degrees and one length fitted to the wall screwed to the studs. The other is cut and fastened to the backs of the cupboards and shelf units at the top. An additional length of wood of the same depth timber is cut and fixed at the bottoms as spacers. The units can then be hung and removed from the wall very easily.

For electrical services, I have gone for surface mounting everything using a combination of three compartment trunking and 20 and 25mm conduit. This allows for easy addition and change of outlets and there is zero risk of anything being screwed through a cable.

Reply to
Andy Hall

P-board isn't suitable for sheds - moisture in the air causes it to fall apart

Reply to
Phil L

HI Andy

Thanks for the comments....

Interesting. In the somewhat milder Irish climate I wasn't planning on adding any insulation......

I'd thought about ply - but had reservations on the grounds of cost. I suppose OSB is an alternative - but does not have such a good surface finish.....

Yes - my thinking also

Sounds clever ! I was planning something much simpler. Shelving on the back wall, salvaged kitchen units & kitchen worktop under the front windows.

Other storage to be free-standing

Yes - same plan here..

Many thanks for the comments / suggestions

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

I'm hoping that (once I've dried out the studio from the aforementioned c*ck-up) it's not going to be damp in there.... May even end up with a certian level of backrgound heat - and plety of ventilation.

Back in the UK we used (foil-backed) plasterboard on treated studwork with a proper dpm to make a previously uninhabitable basement room in our Church into a nice, dry, warm room. This was on the advice of our builder - and the building control people...

I do understand that plasterboard in very damp conditions will fall apart - but I hope that's not going to be the case here...

Thanks Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

if this is the case then you may get away with it, but PB draws moisture out of the air, and this includes the air behind it.

foilbacked may work but it's twice the price of regular PB, as is moisture resistant PB...saying that, they are still probably cheaper than plywood or OSB.

Reply to
Phil L

You could use OSB for strength and something that you can easily screw into, and then PB over the top for an easy to decorate surface with some more fire protection.

Reply to
John Rumm

Hmm - 'spose I could..... but it sounds a bit like doing the job twice

Somebody else suggested OSB with 'local' fire resistance - in the areas where problems could occur (mostly around the kiln and where open flames / soldering irons are in use).

A few months ago I was researching combined public liability & premises insurance - and the lady on the other end of the phone went all twittery and nervous when I admitted that soldering irons might be in use in the studio - her concern was the potential fire hazard....

I guess a couple of remote-indicating smoke detectors might be a wise precaution...

Many thanks Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

True.... It's looking more like OSB then - To be honest - I prefer working with OSB, and I can always use filler or even wooden battens to cover the joints between boards....

Now the $64,000 question - is it worth the additional hassle of lining out the ceiling.....??

Currently I'm thinking 'no' - just because my builder's mate & I are getting to the age where holding sheets of OSB up in the air has lost some of novelty value - and I could just as easily paint the underside of the timber that they've used for the roof.....

I would need to devise some boxing in for the steelwork - but that looks fairly do-able....

Thanks again Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

In message , Adrian writes

There is a *factories and warehouse guide* for fire safety at

etc. you will have to dig around the site for the pdf. the full version is 2.5mb!

Also an online form to assess compliance at

Fairly basic stuff but it helps to keep your insurers happy.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Thanks for the links - I'll go have a look....

Regards Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Depends what you want to keep in there. Occasional condensation might be acceptable if it's just a shed, but from what you are saying, this will actually be a workshop... or even a studio.

When building a workshop in a very similar climate - mild, but very wet and windy - I fitted panels of 50mm of styrofoam into the 100x50 framing, leaving another 50mm breathing space behind the insulation. However, the insulation was not added until I had seen how the outside walls performed in a storm or two, and had caulked any gaps where water had been driven in.

Then the walls were clad internally, to finish off the draught-proofing and provide good surfaces for shelving.

I tend to agree with others that it probably doesn't make sense to line the entire space with plasterboard for fireproofing reasons, given that it's a wooden structure anyway. However, only you can assess the real operating risks there.

OSB doesn't look as pretty as ply, but it will be OK from a strictly functional point of view (provided of course that the exterior waterproofing is good). On the other hand, if this is actually a studio where you might want to invite customers, a higher standard of finish might be a good idea.

So it all depends what you really want this building to be. Is it only a humble shed... or a workshop... or a studio... or in your heart of hearts, is it really your Winter Palace?

Reply to
Ian White

Can't decide what to call it.... If you tell somebody to come round to your shed and you'll show them what you can do with stained glass it does sound a bit down-market (if not actually creepy !). Workshop sounds a bit 'agricultural - but studio is bordering on ostentatious..... what a problem, eh ??

I'm not certain about the insulation - we may end up putting the heat-pump in there - in which case the 'heat leakage' from that will do nicely to keep the chill off the place. The outside walls are thick shiplap on 1000-gauge black dpm - and seem to have stood up pretty well to the gales we've had in recent days.

Yes - I'm thinking more towards OSB rather than plasterboard..

Difficult balance. Painted OSB might have just the right blend of 'smart' with 'rustic crafty' .....

Made me laugh out loud ! Discounting the 4th possibility (reluctantly !) - I guess it falls somewhere between workshop and studio. I'm selling my glass at a couple of local markets, plus one-off fairs - so it'd be not all that often that a customer would need to visit the studio. I see a 'clean area' where finished items can be stored or even displayed - and a 'working area' where things are made. I guess if I go for OSB for starters then a certain amount of 'tarting up' can always be done later, if time / finances / need allows...

Many thanks Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Having looked at your web site, I think that you could position yourself as having a workshop or having a studio.

It depends on what you see your market as being. Is this really a hobby for the most part and you are mainly selling at small craft fairs, or are you trying to make more of a business out of it?

If it's the former, then it doesn't really matter. If you would like to move it onto more of a business footing (even if still small scale), then I think several things:

- A studio, not a workshop.

- Web site taken from being in the first person (suggests small time hobby) to third person and collective (i.e. "we" referring to the business) and if you are mentioned, done in the third person (i.e. Adrian learned about stained glass at... )

- Worth looking at what others like potteries do. There seem to be a myriad of them in Kinsale for example

- Have you thought about teaching how to do stained glass stuff? That plus some local accommodation close by could add up to a nice holiday...

Trouble is, that it isn't. It looks industrial/building site/boarded up shop front.

They could, if you wanted it that way and marketed appropriately.

Perhaps John Rumm's idea of plasterboard over OSB would be a way to do this.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Facility?

Reply to
Frank Erskine

That's what 'Merkins call it. They call people 'resources' as well.

So going to work is 'meeting the resources at the facility'

I still prefer 'studio'

Reply to
Andy Hall

I quite agree. If it's true artistic work, 'studio' is entirely appropriate.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

I've got modest ambitions - certainly don't want another full-blown business at this moment...

Yes - agreed

Not sure about that - though I do appreciate your 'angle'.... It's another 'balancing act' - don't want to appear to be what the Americans call a 'basement bandit' (lovely phrase !) - but don't want to get too 'corporate' either.

I'm sure there are - Kinsale's where all the rich people from Cork go to spend their money at the weekend..... or so I'm told...

Yes - there's a potter down in the village who also happens to run the Youth Hostel - and has been running a fairly comprehensive marketing push to get people to come & pot at his studios. Wouldn't want to make anything large-scale out of it - but a few courses a year might be a thought. It's only our first year over here - got quite a few demands on our time in addition to glasswork....

You're probably right !

Yes - the option is there.....

Yes - it's a distinct possibility......

Thanks for your thoughts

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Yes - I must stop being so modest

Certainly not 'facility' - yeuch !

When I worked for a branch of GEC, his Lorship (Arnie Weinstock) had a habit of referring to employees of the corporation as 'costs walk in on two feet' - what a great way of making your people feel loved....!

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Didn't do him any good in the end, though, did it?

I can always remember, some years ago making a visit to GEC Telecommunications at Coventry.

The address sounded impressive - New Century Park - until one discovered that they were referring to the 20th century.

Reply to
Andy Hall