Span for flooring loft

I want to floor some of the loft, just for a bit of storage. Looking for about 40 sq. m. Wickes' Tongued and Grooved Chipboard Flooring looks OK, but says: "Suitable for all domestic flooring and for joist widths up to 450mm centres" My joists are a bit variable, from 420mm up to about 500mm, so would the excess distance cause a problem?

atm, there are a few bits of 18mm OSB about 30cm width and they seem solid over 500mm; I'd use OSB but it's a lot more expensive.

PeterC

On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 17:40:58 +0100, PeterC wibbled:

I found similar stuff upstairs, spanning 400mm, 450, 500 & 600mm!!

500mm is absolutely fine. 600mm was sort of OK (been like that for years) - was a little bouncy and very bouncy when de-tongued.
Reply to
Tim Watts

OK, thanks Tim. Just wanted to be sure that it wouldn't suffer catastrophic failure!

Reply to
PeterC

On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 22:06:28 +0100, PeterC wibbled:

You can be assured. The old chip I have is degraded, also about 600mm wide panels and right now, about 2/3rds of the original is looselaid and spaced out as I work under it. Even in that state it is not failing (though I often wonder why!).

Reply to
Tim Watts

Although I wouldn't use it for the flooring, I put a strip of 12mm WBP up there to put some boxen on, It is also about 30cm wide and it takes my weight with some flexing (I tried it across spaced supports outside first!). I might not use the T&G (i.e. cut it off) in all places as being able to lift the boards to access fittings is v. important.

Reply to
PeterC