Using OSB for flooring ... ?

I've seen conflicting information about whether 18mm OSB can be used for flooring in dry areas. Having removed some "back" (servants!) stairs I've got a hole, between the ground and first floor, to close-up that's about 1300 x 1500. I also have some pieces of 18mm OSB that are looking for a use (although I'll have to pack it with some 4mm ply to match the existing floor). What does the team think?

Reply to
nothanks

why would it not be suitable?

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Front room is done in OSB by choice. Nice wooden look with random pattern. If you ever get bored, lino or carpet on top.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Thanks to one and all for all the suggestions. I'll try the model shop approach first and of that doesn't work I'll make one out of hard plastic. Tufnol as someone suggested.

Reply to
fred

I was wondering how whether it might degrade with repeated deflection as people walk over it.

Reply to
nothanks

OSB is basically a version of ply.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Yes but a bit more dependent on the glue. I'd have the same reservations as the poster above. Answer might depend on whether the space is walked on all the time, or only once in a blue moon.

Reply to
newshound

both are entirely dependant on the glue. And they work fine.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Irrespective of the OSB, that span is too big.

You need to hang some mini joists to close the gaps down to around 400mm.

Pick the 2 sides that have the best load bearing joists visible, then use joist hangers to hang some mini joists in between. 6x2 should be more than enough to span 1.5m with loads of margin.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Thanks, but I was aware of that. There will be 8x2 joists (the existing joists are a mix of 8x2 and 8x3) on 400mm centres.

Reply to
nothanks