OTish: Sailing icebergs to Africa ?

Why not ?

Mount a sail and crew on an iceberg and even at 1 metre/second it could reach a suitable dock in Africa ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

It would have to be huge to sink Africa. The Titanic would still dwarf it in disaster terms though.

Reply to
Richard

Not a new idea and it's not that easy. You have to cope with the Coriolis forces amongst others.

Chris Hogg

Not a new idea, the Saudis considered it many years ago but there are two issues. 1 the melt below the water line destabilises the berg often toppling it into another stable state, and then where is your sail? Besides the berg is lacking one thing, a rudder.

The original plan was to tow it of course but they would need around 20 tugs to make a good speed. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

The idea was to plonk a sail (or sails) on top of the berg.

As with sails, it could be affixed somehow ?

Surely wind power mitigates that ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I think Brian is correct, icebergs flip and the top becomes the side or bottom.

Reply to
alan_m

Massive steerable traction kite? That could be attached anywhere on / around the berg and controlled remotely?

Assuming Africa is roughly downwind of where the berg is of course.

Coincidentally, I played a small (electronic) part in a display that was going to initially shown to some Saudi important people and then put on public display.

It was basically a 3d graphic that depicted the flow of water between some (or a couple at least) de-salination plants on the coast and though pipelines to some big cities. They had 'running LED's' that showed all the various directions the water could flow, depending on production and load etc.

I don't know if it was already built at that time, being built or just a pipedream ... ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

That's (just) predated by Jerry Pournelle's 1972 short story "Power to the People" in the "High Justice" collection.

It's a science fiction story; they use strap-on nuclear-powered engines to move the iceberg.

Reply to
Reentrant

T i m formulated on Tuesday :

Sulzer?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Apart from any other considerations the crew would need hot food,sleeping facilities, toilets, fresh water (yes I know it's an iceberg but you really don't want to be consuming it) blah blah blah. The maritime legal requirements alone would make the idea a non-floater surely?

Reply to
G r o g

I was envisaging a minimum crew :) Just drop a portacabin or two on teh top ...

Maritime regulations can be amended, if required ...

Thanks for all the replies guys ... I guess there more complexity than there seems at first. However, that said, I wonder if the lack of push on the idea stems from a lack of real desire by the developed world to see a more stable (and therefore less exploitable) Africa ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Chris Hogg

Unlikely. A more stable Africa would be far better for trade, which ceases in conflict zones (e.g. you can't get insurance).

Reply to
Tim Streater

I don't think we're talking "trade" which involves a fair price. We're talking "plunder" (by the locals). Blood diamonds being an example.

If towing the water to Africa is problematic, why not a few enormous f*ck- off nuclear reactors powering massive desalination plants ?

(Anyone read "Prisoners of Geography" ?

dp/1783961414

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Before doing anything to disrupt the balance of nature, perhaps this needs to be addressed:

Richard

It's already addressing itself. Every single country has falling birth rates now except those whose birth rates are right down in the noise.

Josh Nack

I hadn't but have read 25% of it now. Thanks for that.

Reply to
Josh Nack

There's no such thing as "the balance of nature". There isn't and there never has been.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Well, let's see how the industrial powerhouses of these countries benefit the world as a whole. Please hold your breath for this one.

Reply to
Richard

One of the references in the paper is

Burt, J. C. 1956[b]. Iceberg water for California? Science Digest, Vol.

39, No. 2, p. 1?4.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Pournelle had read it.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris