Tyre numbers

I am trying to sort out some trailer tyres. The current tyres have cracks in the sidewalls and are starting to get rust on the hubs. Before I rang the local tyre place I thought I would get some prices online for tyres and for complete wheels.

The old tyres are marked 145R10 68S. Most online searches for those numbers seem to return 145/80B10 74N tyres. Even if I search by trailer make/model (Ifor Wiliams P6e) I get the same. (I know the P6e has been updated).

If I had to mix one of the new suggested tyres with the old spare on the same axle would it be okay? Or do I need to make sure I end up with three exactly the same?

Reply to
chade

I believe 80 (or was it 82 (%)) profile was the 'standard' full profile for tyres and anything else was 'lower' (not 'low' necessarily).

So, your 145 is the nominal tyre (tread?) width in mm, 10 is the rim diameter in inches, the 68/74 is the load index / rating (315 / 375 kg / tyre at max speed rating) and the N/S the speed rating (87/112 mph).

No, AFAIK as long as any tyres on the same axle are the same construction (crossply / radial) and meet the minimum requirements for the speed / load then that should be ok legally. Ideally though you would run them in pairs of the same make / model / spec / condition. [1]

But then there are trailers and trailers. From a practical pov, towing some green waste down the local tip may not be so hard on the tyres as towing a car on a transporter across Europe.

Cheers, T i m

[1] Some vehicles must run tyres of a set load index (like lorries). Smaller vehicles are ok as long as whatever tyre fitted isn't 'overloaded'. Not sure where trailers fit in that bit it could be a function of their gross weight (if loaded at the time or otherwise)?
Reply to
T i m

Reply to
chade

In message , T i m writes

The other thing worth being aware of is the marking showing when the tyre was manufactured. It may not be that important on a domestic trailer, but on the car or a heavy duty trailer, it could be.

I didn't know about this until I tried to sort out wheel and tyre sizes on the last vehicle I bought. I was amazed at the age of some of the tyres on offer on, for example, ebay, and at what some breakers and "good used" places were selling.

The age markings are stamped (rather than moulded) in, often to one side of the tyre, so may not be visible when on a vehicle..

Bill

In article , T i m writes

For caravans - and I assume for trailers of any type - it's Maximum Technically Permissible Laden Mass. The tyres must be capable of supporting that load to the plated value.

Reply to
bert

Makes sense (although why it doesn't then also apply to many vans is a bit strange)?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Probably the rules were set by your right brainers hence illogical.

Reply to
bert

No, rules are generally set by left brainers for left brainers as it is they who aren't as good at realising what is 'socially' right or wrong by themselves (lower EQ) and so have to make something up to guide themselves by.

Coincidentally we were talking about this last night. Daughter has an old school friend who has mild Aspergers (so a left brainer). Daughter visited her the other day and the conversation was as one sided as usual and when daughter was leaving, her friend just said goodbye and shut the door right behind her.

Her mum has 'explained' how she should behave in many scenarios but obviously not yet re closing a door as a friend is leaving. So, she needs more rules to know how she should behave if she wants to be like most other people.

We were also talking about helping to find her a job (she's 25 now) because *we* know she would be very good, a real asset to an employer but it has to be the right role and right employer. So, it probably wouldn't be customer facing (most customers would take her abruptness as being rude) and probably something to do with maths. Accountant / bookkeeper came to mind because that's highly logical, number based and has loads of rules. None of which would suit a right brainer as they would go mad being made to conform to such restrictions.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Just push the button LOL

Reply to
bert

Oh, berk, you are *so* funny ... you ought to be on the stage ...

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m