Reseating / sealing a tyre

Hi all

I have an old trailer I need to get rid of. Trouble is that the tyre has come away from the wheel and I can't get it sealed enough to hold any air. I have seen a trick of using a rachet strap around the tyre to force the tyre onto the wheel but no joy.

I only need to get it inflated enough to take it a few miles down the road.

Anyone have any ideas? I did wonder whether those cans of stuff you can get to temporarily fix puncture when you don't have a spare wheel would work?

Thanks

Lee.

Reply to
Lee Nowell

The normal trick is to spray inside the rim with lighter fuel and then light it. The mini explosion generally 'burps' it back on the rim

Or take the wheel to a tyre place. High pressure air in quantity generally slams it back in place.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Tubeless? Plenty of YouTube videos of folk spraying liquid butane or other gas and then igniting it to get a quick inflation.

Fingers crossed the tyre isn’t too rotten to cope. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Buy a cheap inner tube.

Reply to
phister

as folk have said, ai blast or lighter fuel are the usual options. Soap solution helps it move into place & seal - you can buy tyre soap but washing up liquid works.

No, it's not going to make it seat. It will however trash the tyre.

Reply to
Animal

I agree that it will be unlikely to work, but all modern emergency tyre sealants are water based and should be able (despite what all the tyre places say) be simply washed out.

If the tyre is not so far gone that a tyre place will refuse to deal with it, just take the wheel off and get them to use their compressed air to re-seat it.

Reply to
SteveW

Before you do that, and if you have compressor: Try to inflate with the valve core removed from the stem. The increased flow rate sometimes is enough to seat...

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

I do have a compressor but don't unfortunately have one of those tyre inflator adapters.

Reply to
Lee Nowell

You don't need one! Airgun and blow through the (opened) valve stem, or even just between tyre and rim...

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

Unfortunately all I have is a nail gun for it ☹️

Reply to
Lee Nowell

Pump up the compressor to max, unplug. Seal the hose with pinching it with mole grips, cut off the hose, stick the hose over the valve stem, hold down that hose end *hard", pop off the mole grips.

I'd consider some kind of hearing protection:-)

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

The tyre has probably become deformed and the rubber hardened, also the rim may have corroded, so it won't make a good seal. A tyre fitter would take the tyre off, clean the mating surfaces then (assuming he hadn't condemned the tyre and/or rim) he'd use something like this

a high flow air line.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Fill the tyre with water and put it in the freezer overnight. Bill

Reply to
wrights...

Neat idea. I expect it'd take more than overnight to get it all frozen.

Reply to
Animal

Errr, how do you fill a tyre with water?

Reply to
nothanks

And even more importantly, how do you get it all out once it has been seated.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Quite common (or used to be) with farm tractor tyres. You fill via the valve using an adaptor then top up the pressure with air as necessary.

Often rock salt would be added to create a saline mix to prevent freezing in the winter.

Reply to
Bev

Yes, I understand that, but this tyre isn't sealed on the rim

Reply to
nothanks

But is it unsealed on both sides? If not, lay it down on the sealed side and fill through the opening on the unsealed side.

Where you find a freezer big enough for a wheel and tyre laid flat is another question.

Reply to
SteveW

Run a bead of silicone or even CT1 around the rim to seal the tyre onto rim. You may even get enough of a seal to inflate the tyre.

Reply to
Bev