OT: monitor size

I remember 14 inch monitors, they were big enough IMO but as things grew you ended up with bigger and bigger ones.

I've had 24 inch monitors for a few years now and have considered that they were bigger than the TVs I grew up with.

I bought a new one this week and got a 27 inch, i'll probably adapt to it but as sit in front of it right now it's too much. I'm overwhelmed by it.

So the question..? How do others feel? D they need to stop getting bigger?

Reply to
RDS

In message <u1cfqo$1mfml$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, RDS snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com writes

Yes, otherwise I'll run out of desk space.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

I use a 50" 4k monitor. I need to sit close, and with my reading specs teh corners are too far away. I need the size to get all the info I need on the screen but need to move the focus window near the lower centre of the screen for best results. The biggest problem is reading what is in the corners of the scrren, I have to get up and look closer. Perhaps a curved monitor would have been better.

Reply to
me9

My daughter finds her curved monitor essential - so essential, that she bought one to leave at our house, for when she stays with us (much of her job can be done from home).

Reply to
S Viemeister

At home I use a 28" QHD monitor and, if working, the company laptop's screen as the second monitor. At the office I use two 28" HD monitors, plus the laptop screen. Both options allow me to work on one document, while referring to a couple of reference documents.

I may upgrade the home monitor to a 32" 4K model, to allow the higher resolution to permit more on screen at the same time, without making the text size too small - unfortunately a wall on one side of my desk and a door on the other prevent me using two screens.

Reply to
SteveW

And you sit a lot closer to it than you did with the TV.

I did welcome the 24 inch monitors, I have two of them but did have to redesign all my database screens and find it a nuisance that the laptop isnt anything like as big and mainly use the laptop when brewing the beer so it isnt feasible to have an external monitor for that, there just isnt the room for it where I brew and store the beer. The laptop fits fine there.

I effectively already have the displayed area much bigger with a pair of 24 inch monitors side by side.

Reply to
Rod Speed

A few years back, I couldn't justify the price of 3840x2560, so bought a

27" 2560x1440, last year, I wanted to fit more on screen, so considered a 37", glad I mocked up how big and close it would be, eventually went for a 32" 3840x1920

Try to position it so it's at arms length, and try to avoid maximising any window to full screen, otherwise you can end up having to turn your head to see all the corners of it.

Just another 100 pixels wider and taller would be nice, so that four

1920x1080 sessions would fit along with title bars and the taskbar ...
Reply to
Andy Burns

Depends. You can get a lot on a big monitor

I'm fairly happy with a 24" - does what I need

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Only one? The in thing is to have eight, and, when asked why, to reply that there isn't room for more.

Reply to
Max Demian

I have a 40" 4K. The DPI on x1 scaling is the same as four 20" 1080p monitors, which is about right.

Having that much real estate is handy for CAD, eg if you wamt to see the PCB, the schematic and a datasheet on screen at the same time.

I'd never use windows maximised on it. One of the bad habits Windows users get into is running everything maximised. Effectively it's like having multiple monitors with no join. but you need to position your windows to get the benefit. You should be able to see all of a window without moving your head.

You must have a 3840x2160 then. I have a 17" laptop with 3840x2400 and the vertical space is nice, but 1080p sessions on it would be too small.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Yep bought my son's "old" 27in 2560x1440 when I upgraded my pc hardware a few weeks back, thinking the added screen space would be great, several open sessions all open without over lapping.

However, I had to up the default font sizes for various things otherwise I'd have needed a magnifying glass :-)

You get used to moving your head from left <--> right instead of your eyes eventually.

My sons had 2 of these side by side - I've no idea how he coped!

Reply to
Jim Jackson

14" monitors were often running at no more than 800x600 resolution or less. These days many applications will have individual dialogs that are larger than that. 15" let you do 1024x768 at a push, which was a big step up in useable screen space, but also a bit small - 17" CRTs did a nice job of that.

I remember spending over a £1,000 on my first 21" CRT and running

1280x1024 or even 1600x1200. That was also the point you could render a A4 page on screen at full size and be able to comfortably read it. With the higher resolution you could DTP a double page spread at A4 and still have space to see the software controls on screen.

Although comparisons like that are deceptive with the change to widescreen format. You need a significantly "larger" (i.e. on the diagonal) 16:9 format screen to get the same vertical screen size as you got with a smaller 4:3 format screen. For things like viewing video / TV the vertical size makes a big difference. For computer use, slightly less so if not doing video.

Don't think I could cope with only one 27" monitor!

Much depends on what you do, and your "workflow" - i.e. what applications you need to run at any one time to do what you need to do.

These days it is easy to have your "main task" in front of you at a decent size, but then also have easy access to any reference information you need on screen at the same time. Also really nice for development work to have your code editing / designing / debugging on one screen, and then your actual under development project running uncluttered on another.

You also need to modify how you use the space with larger screens. The larger you go, the few times you should need to use "full screen" mode for any one application or window, and most of the time you will be looking at a windows worth of information rather than a screens worth. So you will end up moving your head more. (Same is true if you wear varifocal glasses!)

Reply to
John Rumm

I have two 31.5in for working and either side of them is a 27in for email and browsing, driven by a single video card. Do I need it like that? No, not really, but I can. It started when I used Matrox cards which had outlets for two monitors. One time when I was upgrading the monitor I found that I had the right leads to try connecting them both to see what it was like. Don't remember why I decided to go for four monitors, with two cards initially. I haven't decided what the next upgrade will be. Terry Pratchett had a rig with eight monitors, mounted in what appeared to be a purpose-built frame.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

I now use an HP 32 inch IPS monitor, and find the 23 inch IPS screen on my 'new' HP AIO PC a tad small by comparison.

I could run it at 2560 x 1440 though but that would need a plugin video card. The on board graphics on my Gigabyte 880-GM-UD8H MB does not support that.

Reply to
Andrew

Presumably that will be a 4K TV though ?. Actual monitors that size are pricy.

Andrew

Hmm, that's 100 inch.

It's a 40" Philips monitor (from 2015). Around that time 4K TVs started coming on the market, but they suffered from slow image processing which made them have terrible latency, as well as picture 'enhancement' features. The monitor was slightly more than a 39" 'Seiki' 4K TV that was the budget choice at the time. I had a 40" 4K Samsung TV at work, and that was OK once I had worked out how to turn off all the 'enhancement' ('football mode' for a World Cup gimmick anyone?)

Similar 43" are currently available:

Seems like TVs have got cheaper since - I have no experience of how good budget 4K TVs are as monitors these days.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Well, I cannot see so have no monitor and operate via spoken feedback. Obviously no good if you are going to edit pictures.

Most of my monitors when I could see were between 14 and 17. Any bigger than that meant they were far too deep or heavy.

I notice these days the trend seems to be toward multiple monitors which, unless you are making a flight simulator, I really do not see the need for. Its the wide screen format that annoys me. What was wrong with the old format? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Are curved screens still a thing? I vividly remember the old ZX Spectrum, if you wanted to do any serious work on it you had to have the screen viewed only half at a time and it switched as your cursor moved to the other half on CP/M on Wordstar. This was the plus 3 of course, the Amstrad version which could actually run CPM without a hardware mod and more ram. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

When payimg a bill, useful to be having on one screen the PDF of the invoice they sent me, and Safari on the other for on-line banking. I have Safari set how I like it so it's useful not to have to modify that to accommodate the PDF. With this arrangement it eases the minor job of paying a bill.

I have an HDMI 2-way so I can also switch the smaller screen towards the file-server if desired, and by cascading a similar one I can redirect that screen to a RaspPi when I have that running.

Then there's software development: useful to have the Xojo IDE window open on the larger screen, and a Lin/Win VM running on the other. The IDE supports remote debugging, so from my Mac I can debug the app running under Win/Lin in the various VMs. Or I can hook up the Pi and test the app remotely there too.

And on a wider screen you can get two A4 pages up together, next to each other.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Indeed - I have thought about 2 monitors, but tiling windows on one 27-inch (5120 × 2880) monitor seems to work for me.

Reply to
RJH