An extension tube for 3/8" copper waterr tube

I need an extension tube for 3/8" copper waterr tube

I took out my kitchen faucet and the tubes on the new one doesnt' reach the pipes coming from the wall.

One is about 1/2" too short, and the other might possibly reach, but it requires bending, and I'm afraid I'll kink it. Most of the tubing is behind the sink bowl and even the part that isn't is hard to work with because it's 18 inches or so into the cabinet.

What do people do in this situation?

I could use plain old 3/8" copper tubing and a compression fitting at one end. The other end is the line from the faucet, which currently has a ferrule and a nut on it, and is just waiting for something male to attach to. But I don't think there is like that.

I also could flare the end if that would help but I don't see how it would.

I've been to the store and good ole HDepot had lines, with IP at one end, and a compression fitting at the other (although the label seemed to say that it was compression at both ends.)

I also have a pair of lines I bought earlier when I had no idea what I wanted (but they were 1 dollar a piece), with IP at both ends, 1/2 and

3/8 although the label says 1/2" IP at one end and 3/8" compression at the other. Is there something wrong with my undrestanding, that even though they are different brands, I keep seeing one end as IP even though the labels on each call the end "comp".

Thanks.

Reply to
mm

I just realized I could use a compression union, but that means 4 more compression fittings under the sink. Isn't there a better way to do this?

I saw a swaging tool for sale, that would enlarge one of the two tubes so the other could fit inside it, and be soldered. Would that be okay? A good idea? Hard to do? Copper tubing splits before it's big enough? I'd enlarge the new piece of tubing and slide it over the piece that is under the sink. Soldering with a torch will set fire to the sink cabinet?

MM

Reply to
mm

I thought I've seen those braided hoses that has 3/8" compression at both ends,one end male, one end female, basically an extension pipe. That would work for you. I don't think HD is going to have that. Most likely a plumbing supply store.

Reply to
Mikepier

Thanks. I'll try a plumbing store tomorrow.

Reply to
mm

HD sells the braided hoses. They come with an assortment of type of ends. If your tube threads into the stops with a compression, they have that end and they have the 1/2" NPT you see on the faucet. I would just replace the whole thing.

The other option is you can get 3/8" solder sleeves at any HVAC supplier.

Reply to
gfretwell

The RIGHT way to do it is to extend the 1/2'" copper to the right position so your 3/8" tubing fits properly

Reply to
clare

By golly you're right. After I read this I checked again and I had even bought the right hose, but didn't know it because I had trouble at both ends.

Using one hand, I couldn't even screw the bottom end onto the pipe, but this time I got it.

A) At the bottom end where it screws to the pipe coming from the wall, with an NFT fitting, I need to use that white "teflon" tape, right?

B) At the top end where the faucet screws on to it, if the tubes get much shorter they'll be behind the sink, so I'd rather not cut them shorter. Is it ever possible to get the ferrule off so I can put on another, closer to the end? Banging down on the nut with a wrench hasn't worked. :)

Would a mini-tubing cutter be able to cut it off close enough to the ferrule to leave only 1/2" of tube, so the hose will go on?>

C) I probably will have to remove the faucet from the sink, won't I?

That might be a better idea? Wouldn't have to remove the sink and it would leave me with lots of tube, which could be shortened again when I remove the snik to replace the counter, etc..

Reply to
mm

No you don't.

See below.

Reply to
Joe

  1. Rip out the cabinets, toss them in the garbage and get cabinets that are an inch lower.
  2. Remove the cabinets and set them aside. Rip out that wall, and replace all he plumbing from the water meter up to that sink using pipes that are all one inch longer. Replace wall, reinstall cabinet.
  3. Install the sink under the counter top inside the lower cabinet. Of course you'll have to open the cabinet doors to wash dishes and wash them on your knees.
  4. Fill the sink with pails of water from the bathtub.

  1. Move to another house.

Reply to
W.R.Fretmen

I'll look into these. They are more elaborate than Clare's suggestion, but still. I think Joe's idea is good too, now that I've looked more closely at the pipes.

Not yet.

Thanks to all who wrote.

Reply to
mm