Hedge trimmer flex [cable?] repair. Cheapest safe method?

When I had a hedge, the trimmer came like that. The lawnmower is like that now (came with meters of cable wrapped around the handles. I cut all that away and made it so there was a yard or so of flex attached to the mower then a connector which attaches to the other half of the connector which is itself on the end of the the rest of the flex [which is coloured orange presumably so it's easy to see in grass]).

Reply to
soup

I guess it's easy to do the wrong way round if you're in a hurry or distracted.

Reply to
Adam Funk

No, i imagine not, but you can get suitable connectors.

However, as others have suggested, using a plug and socket is useful, so worth just using that instead,

Reply to
Chris French

"Nightjar .me.uk>"

All DIYers should have a hedge trimmer like that.

Reply to
ARW

And are you still able to easily loose the nut that holds the cover on?

Reply to
ARW

Depends how tight it was done up.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Even if they haven't got a hedge.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Why not?

Reply to
ARW

On the surface a brilliant idea, precisely what I did when I cut through the wire on mine.

However a plug and socket arrangement is a nightmare, the slightest tug, and I do mean slightest, my trimmers stop working and I have to walk a modest way to replug them together again. In the end they're strung together.

So I'm not sure if I recommend any inline plug and socket that comes apart unless they do so getting close to the cable breaking strength!!

Reply to
Fredxxx

I've got duraplugs on all my tools, admittedly I don't own a hedgetrimmer, but never had any interruption to power even when the cable is given a yank, a two-handed operation to separate them.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Does that include the cordless ones?

So why do you need the duraplugs:-)?

Reply to
ARW

IME, genuine Duraplug inline plugs are difficult to pull apart, even when you want to.

Reply to
Nightjar

In the days when I used a hedge trimmer I twisted the leads together (like the first half of a reef knot) before connecting them. Yes I lost a few inches but it was worth it to stop it coming apart. I think it also reduced snagging.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

That's me buggered then . Gave ours away to next door when I dug the hedge up.

Reply to
soup

When I cut through my hedge trimmer cable (a black one note!) I fitted one of these and did the same on all double insulated garden equipment and availed myself of an orange cable reel that is reserved for garden use; they never pull apart unintentionally:

Plastic yes but the parts are up close to the appliances so never come into contact with hard surfaces and have survived considerable use ... and they are very low cost.

Reply to
mail-veil

Just be a little wary of the 3 pin inline rubberised connectors. We had a need for 20 of these at work recently and bought most from a local DIY shop, speed was of the essence, and a couple of a different brand, although physically the same from another shop. They were marked L N E inside to aid connecting correctly. Just a pity that one manufacturer had LEN and the other manufacturer NEL. They shouldn't have gone bang if swapped over, but it wouldn't have been good! Fortunately we spotted it before it got too far.

In our case it would have caused serious problems as we were using them for 12V dc with L being positive and N being negative.

Reply to
Bill

Nice one! I seen wot you dun there. :-)

I was about to remark that it was more to with how snug a fit it was in the moulding before I spotted your pot shot at the use of "loose" for "lose". :->

Reply to
Johnny B Good

It's also a very good way to extend the mains lead on an electric drill. After all, how often do you expect to be simultaneously mowing the lawn and drilling holes for fixing hanging basket brackets? Hint: You'll only be needing the use of a single extension cable. :-)

Reply to
Johnny B Good