Blue Peter car maintainance

I won't be using one of these in my Bentley.

Q. How do I service the Frantz Refiner? A. Place a roll of toilet paper centered onto the filter base tucking in any paper overlapping the edge. Cover the toilet paper with the canister and clamp it in place making sure the knob is tight. That's it. The toilet paper should be inexpensive quality with a 4-1/4" long cardboard center core. The core should not be tight with the center of part of the canister so oil is allowed to travel through the cardboard core for circulation.

There's no mention of which grade of Snake Oil is recommended.

Reply to
Jonno

Why? Its the same material oil filters normally use.

You dont think cleaner oil reduces wear? It seems pricey though.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Drivel/Snakeoil. Clean oil (supposing the thing works) is only part of the problem. The oil loses other important properties in use.

If you look at the oil in a propane powered engine, it's perfectly clean. But it still has to be changed.

Reply to
harryagain

And this is supposed to do what exactly? Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

No, it really isn't. Oil filter elements are paper-based, yes, but they're not a cheap bog roll. Have you ever even wiped a dipstick with some bog roll?

Yes, I do. And that's why I won't be replacing the oil filter on any of my cars with a bean can full of bog roll.

Reply to
Adrian

It probably doesn't matter about the filter material as the advert suggests that in the USA change their oil every 2000 miles.

Reply to
alan_m

It reads as if this is a secondary filter, in parallel with the usual filter, which is a well respected technique for prolonging the life of both oil and engine, on hard working engines.

The main filter is full flow and picks up most of the larger debris in the oil, the secondary filter has a much slower flow and picks up the tinier particles suspended in the oil. The result is much cleaner oil in circulation.

Whether bog rolls will also achieve this, I have no idea.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

They have been using bypass bog roll filters in trucks for years (whether they are beneficial is another story.)

Reply to
F Murtz

You don't replace anything they are usually an addition (they are bypass filters.)

Reply to
F Murtz

You're right. It's fitted with a tee from the oil pressure switch, then a small bore return pipe to - they suggest the filler neck or drilling the side of the sump.

Hi-ho. At least it won't do much harm. Very little oil will go through it, and when the bog roll does collapse completely, at least it's unlikely to do much harm.

I'd be less thrilled with using a sandwich plate, because it will actually stop the main filter doing anything when it inevitably blocks.

Reply to
Adrian

Only just come to this thread.

This surely has to be the biggest internet joke ever? Bog roll oil filter my ****

Reply to
Tim Watts

And that's a major service. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Wasn't there an apocryphal story about an Australian picking up his new car, being told that it should have an initial service at

500 miles. His problem was that he lived 250 miles away.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

As the advert gores on to say that they change their oil every 2000 miles I guess a low grade snake oil.

Reply to
alan_m

Worst "I've got a Bentley" post evah.

Reply to
Halmyre

Why anyone is believing that I dont know

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr