Wallpaper questions

Hi all,

I'm getting ready to paper a wall and could use some advice from all the seasoned vets here. I removed the existing wallpaper, which in spite of my best efforts (including the use of a steamer) resulted in damage to the drywall. I sealed the entire thing with an oil-based primer, then floated the wall, sanded (very dusty!) and put two more coats of the sealer on. Now I'm ready to paper and have two questions:

  1. Should I use wallpaper size? I was planning on it. When I went to Home Depot to buy some they didn't have any, and the person staffing that department had never heard of it. Maybe I should shop elsewhere (We didn't buy the paper from them; we ordered it from the 'net.) I've read in other posts that size will make it easier to remove this paper later. If that's so I definitely want to use it. But I've seen in other places that it isn't necessary, and the instructions that came with the paper don't say anything about sizing.

  1. We're doing a different paper on the top and botton of the wall, with a border at the chair-rail height to separate the papers. We're also probably going to put thin (maybe 1/2") painted wood strips along the top and bottom edge of the border. Should I put the top and bottom paper on first, butting the edges together, then put the border over the top of that? Or should I put the border on first, then trim the top and bottom papers to the top and bottom edge of the border? Either way, the seams will be covered by the painted wood strips. So maybe it doesn't matter.

Thanks!

--Doug

Reply to
Doug Lowe

"Doug Lowe" wrote

I always size. The paper goes on easier, stays on better, and removes easier. (The new owner of my old house thanked me for sizing when they removed paper that had been up for about ten years.) Sizing is inexpensive and easy.

JME, S

Reply to
Starsha

Steamers are overkill, IMO. Do a google search on my email addy and wallpaper for removal advice.

Home Depot sells size, premixed and dry. Get your paper and follow the mfg's instructions. I'd go to a wallpaper store, myself, and buy from a known brand. The big stores are great for prices, but buying from someone with 20 or 30 years in the biz gives you expertice you will never get at the big stores.

Not much difference; it's just wallpaper paste.

Put up the strips, measure carefully (twice, with level), prime and paint them. Then put up your border and paper.

Yes, it matters. I would not want to try to paint the wood with the paper in place, or to remove the paper someday that lies under the strips. Use a metal straight edge and fresh razor blades (in a handle) when you trim the papers - take it slow so you don't gash the trim or cut too deeply.

Reply to
NorMinn

Sizing is not necessary. It is little more than thinned down adhesive. If you've got this wall primed with a flat oil based primer you need nothing else.

I'm going to guess this is a pre-pasted paper. These come with varying degrees of adhesive on them. Because of this most homeowner failures are due to not enough glue. I don't recommend using a water tray. Lay the sheets out on a flat table & roll water on. With a little experimentation, add a premixed clear glue to the water. The key is SLIP & GRIP. It should feel gooey. Flat oil is not porous so you'll want the adhesive fairly stiff. You should be able to tell when you try to position a strip. It should slide easily into place & have enough tack to stay in place. Also, too much adhesive is no good, that oil won't absorb it. And will cause the seams to separate upon drying.

Tacky. IMNSHO. Will look much nicer without the trim.

Should I put the top and bottom paper on first, butting

Hang the tops & bottoms at he same time overlapping in the middle where the border goes. Then double cut through both layers. Peel the top & bottom layer off & you should be able to get a nice tight seam.

If it's a pre-pasted border wash the adhesive off with hot water & a sponge. You'll need a small container of VOV (vinyl over vinyl adhesive). Experimentation time again thinning the adhesive.

Reply to
3rd eye