Programmable thermostat settings

I just had central air installed along with a new programmable thermostat (Chronotherm IV). I can program up to 4 different time/temp changes per day. I know that there are many factors that would impact the answer to this question, but with all else equal, how much difference in temperature makes it worthwhile to use the time settings? For example, I plan on raising the room temp during the day when no one is home. Should I go more than 5 degrees? No more than 10 degrees?

I know I'll have to experiment a bit to get the temps where I want them to be at certain parts of the day, but I'm trying to get a little advice to start.

Thanks Ray

Reply to
Ray

Some of this will be trial and error. You need to find out what works best for you.

Here are a few thoughts.

Allowing the interior temp to go too hot during the day, may not save as much as you might like. For most people they cooling will need to come on in the hottest time of the day to be ready when you return from work. That means the A/C needs to work harder. Large swings of temperature can cause other problems with things like a piano or many other products.

I ran a five to eight degree difference. Night was cool, then +3 so it would be warming by the time I was ready to get up. I then went +5 (total of 8) shortly before I left for work. That was followed with a - 5 shortly before I was due home and a -3 for bed time. Now I am retired so I spend more time at home and I am only using the +-3 auto settings and adjust manually during the day.

Good Luck

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Hi Joseph, hope you are having a nice day

On 19-Apr-04 At About 05:54:33, Joseph Meehan wrote to All Subject: Re: Programmable thermostat settings

JM> From: "Joseph Meehan"

JM> That means the A/C needs to work harder.

The system doesn't work " harder " it only works longer. an A/C system works at a set rate so it only works longer and cannot work harder or easier. longer run times are better though as it runs more efficiently at longer run times.

-=> HvacTech2

Reply to
HvacTech2