Guess the speed.

There are indeed detached cottages in existence.

But nothing like as many as there are workers' cottages in terraced form.

When the term was introduced (whenever that was), that was probably more or less the only form of the cottage. On that, I agree with you.

But that was then and this is now (or rather, it was a later time, at least, than "then"). The heyday of the terraced cottage was the second half of the C19 and the earlier part of C20. In villages such as this one, one will often encounter a row of terraced houses (usually more than three and no more than about ten) with the overall name "Xxxxxx Cottages" (and often a C19 building date on a plaque). There are at least four such locations I can think of within a half-mile of here. They're really not very different from the "Coronation Street" type of dwelling, except for the fact that sometimes, they are at right angles to the nearest road and reachable only on foot.

Reply to
JNugent

It is a word that changes meaning over time. Originally a cottage was the dwelling of a cottager; somebody who owed allegiance to a feudal lord in return for the cottage with enough land to feed a family attached. (Not a person engaged in cottaging, which is something else entirely).

In the 17th century, some of my ancestors lived in a row of 16th century tied cottages, supplied by the farmer they worked for. Land to grow food was still part of the deal. Today the original ten terraced cottages have become two semi-detached cottages and the land for growing food is now the gardens.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

Wrong.

Almost none like that here. In town the so called 'workers cottages' are now 'period town houses'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

One wonders how you could possibly have come to that conclusion. I'm not aware of a single detached cottage within miles of here. The minimum number is two, connected together in the normal terraced manner.

I could be mistaken and perhaps there is one. Or maybe two. But even if there were, they would be vastly outnumbered by the short terraces of between two and ten houses, built as farmworkers' cottages over a hundred years ago. Not to mention the ones built and around in the village centre and nearby.

That may well be what the estate agents call them.

But they are what they were built as.

Reply to
JNugent

Or if it has a cathedral.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Cottages are not built in terraces. "Cottage" is not a "posh term" for anything.

Reply to
Tim Streater

In message snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net>, Tim Streater snipped-for-privacy@greenbee.net writes

Or an Abbey? City of St. Albans?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

No longer so. Guildford has a cathedral since the early 1960s, but is not a city.

Reply to
charles

Well it is a bit posh for ?public lavatory?.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Value of land, pet. You can make much more with housing than garages.

Yes dear.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

And just how do you value part of an existing road? It can't be built on. So any value you care to give it hypothetical.

Different with new build estates, where the roads can be a legal minium width.

You seem to know little about how such things work.

Some may be residents only. Within certain times and days of the week. Both of which vary by area. Some may also allow anyone to pay and park. There can also be resident only bays and general ones in the same street.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Some are, most obviously with miners' cottages.

Reply to
Jock

No one would call those cottages these days.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Tell that to Rochester: still has its cathedral but lost the city status it had had since the 13th century in a local govt reorganisation in

1998. The then City Council were told by Westminster what to do to keep it but declined to do so.
Reply to
Robin

Jock

Building a cathedral does not automatically confer city status. The place still needs a city charter from the Crown. However, historically, the two have always gone together.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

Have usually gone together.

Brechin is not officially a city.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I wasn't aware of that. However, the granting of city status to places with diocesan cathedrals was linked to the power of the Church in the mediaeval English Court. Perhaps they did things differently in Scotland.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

Nope. Guildford has a cathedral, but isn't a city. You need to watch Pointless more.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

As I mentioned elsewhere in this thread, some of my ancestors were farm workers, living in tied cottages. The cottages were built on the farm as a terrace of 10 (possibly 9) in the 16th century. Today, they have been converted into two dwellings, making a pair of semi-detached cottages.

Reply to
Colin Bignell