Guess the speed.

I'm inclined to agree with Mr Plowman to the extent that "I have paid for resident parking" is how many people would put having paid money for a resident's parking permit". It might have been slightly better to point out that it was the owners or keepers who had done the paying, but that's a small point.

The bigger point is that the road is not privately owned by the residents and it has functions other than merely to provide for their garaging needs.

Reply to
JNugent

In that case, no way to keep a motor vehicle, except at the expense of others.

Reply to
JNugent

There have been reported cases of drivers hitting the accelerator pedal rather than the brake in the panic of such incidents. It might be easier to do in an automatic than a manual.

Reply to
JNugent

But things can go pear shaped if its a powerful car and you hit the accelerator instead of the brake when you panic. We have had little kids killed that way when the car goes right thru a building plate glass window etc.

Reply to
Jock

20MPH car crash

ARW

That one is a cracker. Seen it several times.

It's great the way the female driver who failed to give way at the junction comes round the corner with a phone in her hand and starts shouting and blaming the victim.

Reply to
JNugent

But they can if they can find some off-street parking for it.

That already applies for many people who live in city-centre flats and other accommodation.

Yes - seen similar in various parts of Italy, especially in the villages and towns around the Amalfi / Sorrento coast.

Reply to
JNugent

I guess you already watch this channel

ARW

ARW

Use a decent search engine and search terms you lazy git.

Reply to
Richard

This should get you started:

Richard

.. above the limit.

Reply to
Richard

It depends. There *is* a private sector for renting out garages. The principle exists but obviously provision is not evenly spread. If I needed to (I don't), I could easily rent a garage in this village.

This one sounds a little startling, but in certain urban areas, there was, some years ago, during the reign of terror of John Prescott at Transport, a government scheme called "Pathfinders", wherein some streets of low-value terraced housing were to be CPd and demolished, in order to provide batches of off-street parking for the houses which had not been demolished. Sort of thinning out the herd to provide space.

I'm talking about unimproved houses worth probably about £12,000 - £15,000 at the time. I know because a relative owned one of them. He wasn't bothered about it and was even looking forward to the move, but many others were opposed and the government eventually dropped the scheme (after blighting the areas concerned for some years).

No, not recently-built accommodation (though there must be some of that). There are plenty of flats (of various kinds) in London W1 and WC1, for instance, right in the heart of the West End, with no possibility of off-street parking. They don't get resident's parking permits for Shaftesbury Avenue, Oxford Street, Regent Street or Charing Cross Road.

I've stayed in such a place, where the nearest parking space is well over half a mile away and up and down a hundred feet of steps. There are fairly well-developed shopping delivery services, contactable by phone or internet. There are even couriers who will carry luggage from car to accommodation for seven or eight Euros per person.

The Golden Days, eh?

Reply to
JNugent

Very entertaining for the odd half hour!

Reply to
JNugent

Thanks!

Reply to
JNugent

That's Southey Road in Wimbledon. All the nearby junctions provide hours of entertainment. And it's one of Merton Councils 20mph zones which seem to lead to complacency.

Reply to
Jim White

Also swears she weighs less than 20 stone. Weighing scales are lying like the speedometer.

Reply to
ARW

Good to know you live somewhere so cheap. No wonder you talk so much crap. In many UK inner cities, you'll make more money turning garage space into residential. Isn't that just what a good Tory wants?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Good God, where on earth did that come from?

I live about 30 miles from Central London. It's not Notting Hill or Hampstead, but certainly not "cheap". I tripled my mortgage when we moved south, forty years ago.

And what does the availability of rented garages have to do with "cheapness" anyway?

You are irrational.

Yes, irrational.

You, of course, won't know this (there's no reason why you should or would), but it is virtually *impossible* to get planning permission to turn a block of garages into a housing development. And so it *should* be, since such spots are usually too close to other houses for any such development to be "neighbourly", which is a major planning consideration.

So in fact, you couldn't be more wrong about the garages near here (and in other places nearby), but you didn't know it.

But garages exist, they belong to private companies and are advertised for rent (not for sale) at reasonable rates. They can be useful for storage, I expect. It's hard to see what other uses there could be for the land, except maybe to sell it to adjacent residents in order to extend their gardens, or something.

I suspect that you do not like to see or hear opinion expressed to the obvious effect that the street outside a terraced house doesn't belong to the occupant and that other people have rights too.

Reply to
JNugent

I predict that tonight it will be a good pagga.

It started last week when my car was blocked from leaving the driveway.

Today I parked my van in front of the house opposite that driveway.

I have already told the owner of that house to sit on it and swivel and

I expect it will kick off when I park my car on the street later tonight.

The adrenaline is already flowing.

Reply to
ARW