Timber yards

FFS. I find a timber yard within reasonable traveling distance that has the skirting/architrave I want in wood (i'm oiling it, not painting). And they cut. Bold claims on their website about how well they store their wood and how much of it they have. So I get on their website to order for collection, as i'm adding pieces the cart is just totaling them up in length so i'm plainly going to get it in lengths that won't go in the car. So I phone them, they do cut but only on Saturday. I rock up with my saw, i'm passed from pillar to post because nobody has heard of lamb's tongue skirting, eventually find it, they've a handful of tatty/dirty lengths no two even similar in colour. Total waste of time.

This is why painted torus is so fekking popular then I take it?

Recently I wanted a plain internal door. Phoned a place and was told they always have them in stock. Got there, told them what I wanted, someone spoke into a radio and someone else brought me a door. Great I said and gave it my son to put on the car roof. The guy was looking at us like we'd gone off so I asked if he was OK. Is that the door you want?, he asked. If it's x by y then yes, I said. I don't know he said, I was just showing you a door, and went for a tape, it wasn't the size I wanted and they didn't have that size and had no idea when they might. Total waste of time.

I could go on, what is wrong with these places?

Reply to
R D S

I ordered some timber for use as a skirting from B&Q for collection. The stuff they gave me was twisted, bowed - just useless. So, I went to the right aisle, and sorted out the 3 best lengths from the 30 they had, and bought those.

They are presently horizontal, under weights, in the hope they'll be okay.

Reply to
GB

All the timber om B&Q website gets shit reviews, I was in there recently and came out empty handed because I couldn't find enough straight pieces.

My local Howarths do skirting in timber but only seem to do architrave in MDF. I've bought some plain timber from them and will be routinng it myself.

Reply to
R D S

B&Q store a lot of their timber vertically. Well, a bit off vertical. Would it be better if they stored it, properly supported, in horizontal racks? Or is it simply too green?

(You can tell that I know nothing about timber!)

Reply to
GB

You do wonder, surely it would be better laid flat.

I've seen wood/board on racking/brackets with space between where it goes a bit wavy!

Some of the jobs i've seen though (and paid for), I get the impression that tradesmen don't care :)

Reply to
R D S

I think all the usable lengths get purchased leaving the bent/damaged ones in the rack. The stock filler comes round and puts more in to the designated stock level but does not remove the rubbish. >>>

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In message <t62r5i$rsh$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, R D S snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com writes

I'm after some architrave to replace the rotten ones at my back door ; the house was built in 1907 so quite ornate and an odd size . In the olden days 90's, I took a piece my house's odd shaped skirting to Lawsons Timber in Edinburgh who used a strange contouring template device . They used this to set a milling machine and could run off exact replicas.

I think the closest place that does bespoke wood mouldings is a 60 mile round trip.

Brian

Reply to
brian

This.

B&Q kinda create the problem by selling single pieces of wood. Naturally every customer picks the best bits. The wiggly bits get left but are still counted as stock balance so it soon happens that there?s nothing but wiggly bits left that no one buys and the store doesn?t reorder as they have stock.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Me neither, though I have made an observation today, I've job on using

6x1 planed from Haworth Timber, I've a couple of pieces the same size left over from a past job from B&Q. The Howarth stuff is notably heavier, different tree? Older tree (the knots are bigger too)? Anyway it feels miles better.
Reply to
R D S