crockery repairs

Got a few chipped items where I have kept the chipped out fragments (no doubt there are tiny bits missing rather than a clean break) it's just cheap everyday crockery, what's best repair? Milliput or araldite?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Superglue. I think crockery was the one thing it did work for.

Reply to
Pancho

Not advised for strength. Epoxy is good. White milliput for gap filling or standard two part epoxy if you can clamp or tape. Stoving works well, up to 100°C. Stoved epoxy will stand the same heat it was stoved at up to boiling and a tad beyond. Clean excess off before it sets with acetone or MEK.

mix epoxy as exactly and as thoroughly as possible.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Buy a new one.

Reply to
Jock

long out of production, and not enough broken items to sling the lot out yet ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

That's bullshit, it works in plenty of other places and isnt great for crockery repair.

Reply to
Jock

If it was mine, I would use rapid araldite, applied very sparingly with a pin. Superglue is too fast IMO and goes off before the chip is bedded exactly into position, while ordinary Araldite tales too long. Rapid araldite gives you about five minutes, neither too fast nor too slow.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

It was developed for sticking two bits of skin together

Reply to
charles

But since you said it was cheap stuff, why does it have to match the existing stuff ?

I wouldnt use repaired stuff myself.

Reply to
Jock

Wrong

It was later discovered to work fine with skin instead of stitches and also is brilliant for making fingerprints visible.

One of the most stunning examples of very unexpected later uses.

Reply to
Jock

+1

a trace of TiO2 pigment in to make it white helps hide the crack. Normal araldite is translucent enough to look dirty brown or black. The thinnest layer you can get away with so be sure to clamp the piece into position - it goes very liquid just before it cures.

Aldi/Lidl sell a white epoxy every now and then for this very purpose.

Reply to
Martin Brown

isn't milliput a white epoxy?

Reply to
Andy Burns

It has a lot of filler in as well

Reply to
jkn

comes in various different colours, but, yes, it says it's an epoxy on the packet.

Reply to
charles

Tell the BBC researchers that they are priceless family heirlooms and the Repair Shop might do it for free.

Reply to
Andrew

yes it is, although other colours are available

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Unlikely when they see that it is just cheap everyday crockery.

Reply to
Jock

They might if given a believable sob story and you can cry at will!

Reply to
Dave W

Like what. that that was the cup a loved relo drank from just before it died ? I doubt it.

I don't cry at anyone.

Reply to
Jock

If you have the bits and need adhesive, superglue with activator. Locktite do one. The activator is a bit like a felt tip pen, you apply to one surface from memory. Apply glue to the other face and push together. It ?sets? even more rapidly than normal.

I?m not normally a fan of super glue, especially for ceramics, but this seems to work.

Reply to
Brian