OT: RR SMR

" the regulatory part of the process had begun and ?will likely complete in the middle of 2024 ? we are trying to work with the UK Government, and others to get going now placing orders, so we can get power on grid by 2029"

So before even a single bit of concrete can be laid, two years of red tape and regulatory hoops to jump through. Then4-5 years build out

Imagine if every wind farm had to go through that.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I saw last night that they are starting to make some components for them now, in anticipation of being allowed without changes ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

I think the gummint senses a disaster if they are not on stream PDQ.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

But the worst that can happen with a wind farm is that a blade can come off and at worst chop a hole thru the side of a bus full of people etc.

Same with solar panels, one may well go flying in a gale, but that's about it.

Reply to
Jock

No, the worst than can happen is that they don't provide power when it's needed.

Reply to
AnthonyL

Well, let's see, The Japanese built a plant in a tsunami zone that required active cooling in the event of a flood. The radiation leak was so severe that someone died. ONE.

Grid scale batteries to store 3 days power in case of a winter blocking high don't exist, so let's use pumped storage.

And don't forget the Banqiao dam...

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

You've clearly never worked in any safety critical field.

If you had you would understand that 2 years is PDQ.

Reply to
Fredxx

Thats not what the long approval process with the RR SMR is about.

Reply to
Jock

All irrelevant to why the RR SMR requires a longer approval process than a wind farm or solar panels do.

I wasn't suggesting that either are better than nukes and have in fact said repeatedly that nukes leave the alternatives for dead.

Reply to
Jock

They did not die of radiation

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Almost any fool could see that at some point SMRs were going to come into consideration. What is sad is that I think both the ABWR and AP1000 proposed for Wylfa and Moorside have completed GDA (or certainly got well down the road). Not sure if they started for Hualong One for Bradwell?

At least GDA was a step in the right direction compared to the processes before it.

Of course we havn't actually had a Government that was seriously supportive of nuclear power since the 1960's. Even Mrs. Thatcher.

RR have had some seed money and as someone else pointed out, are likely to be manufacturing as well as designing soon. And of course investors could still do some site prep "at risk".

Reply to
newshound

+1 (excluding the ad hominem remark)
Reply to
newshound

Well they'd better get on with it before the worst does happen.

Reply to
AnthonyL

One has since:

(although more are killed falling off or getting burnt alive on wind turbines each year)

Reply to
John Rumm