Chipped Bath

Two months ago I installed a bath made by a company called Victoria & Albert. They say it's made from a material called 'Quarrycast' which will be their own composition of course. For all the world it's like a thick plastic.

Yesterday, a double glazed unit fell on it (don't ask) and it's made a chip in it about 50mm x 25mm. I have the majority of the chip that fell out but around the edges, it shattered and if I just replaced the chip it would obviously show.

Now, the insurance company are quite willing to replace the bath but the cost of it will be in the region of 2k (bath 1250 plus fitting) and this seems to us to be immoral if we could get it repaired satisfactorily.

I phoned the insurance company (NIG skandia) and they gave me the number of a bath repair firm. Trouble is, the number isn't recognised!

Does anyone know of a company that repairs baths to a high standard? I don't particularly want to attempt it myself even though NIG say that if the repair didn't work, they would stil replace the bath. If it has to be a diy job, can anyone recommend a product that they have experience of?

Regards

Xav

Reply to
xavier

Plumbase do a bath repair kit ,have used it on acrylic and steel on 3 occasions and it seems to work fine,I would recommend practise first.

Why do you need to replace the fittings that are only two months old.

Reply to
Alex

This is the one time I'd say sod DIY. Get it replaced, thats what insurance is for!

Reply to
TonyK

He specifically states that he'd rather not replace the bath??

Alex (another one)

Reply to
Alex (YMG)

Yes, I've seen them advertise all over the Internet. When you've put it in the gap or crack or whatever, can you sand it when it's gone off or do you have to get it smooth first time? I seem to remember reading somewhere that sellotape was recommended to get the profile correct. Did you do anything like this?

We don't/are'nt intending replacing the fittings. Actually, the only one on the bath is the waste (which costs 110 dumps), the taps are on pillars at the side of the bath.

Reply to
xavier

You could be right. The insurance company say if we try a repair and it isn't completely satisfactory, they'll replace the bath anyway. Nothing to lose really except all the hassle of replacing a 90kilo bath!

xav

Reply to
xavier

I posted a reply to this but it doesn't seem to have got through.

This stuff that Plumbase do; can it be sanded after it's set or do you have to get it right before it hardens? Like I said, we would rather not replace the bath if we can help it but of course with a bath that costs this much, we want it to look right :))

I wasn't intending on replacing the fittings, the only one on the bath is the waste (which also costs a lotta dumps) and the taps are on pillars to the rear.

Cheers

xav

Reply to
xavier

Hi,

Try this company:

try the manufacturer, though they may have a vested interest in replacing it.

May be possible to sand/file some material off from the underside to get powdered plastic, and either make a filler with clear epoxy or carefully fuse it into the scratch with a flameless lighter. Definitely worth practicing on the underside first though!

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

The product comes with full instructions and a small piece of wet and dry paper,and a small areosol can of paint for finishing with

Reply to
Alex

In message , xavier writes

Have you actually tried going back to V & A and asking their advice ?

Reply to
raden

Yes, I have actually, but the rep who is supposed to phone is away and, quite honestly, I don't think I'm going to get a response from them. One lives in hope of course :)

The previous post about the plastics repair outfit looks hopeful and I've emailed them. We shall see...

xav

Reply to
xavier

replying to xavier, bg wrote: Did you find a satisfactory solution? I just had a potted plant fall and chip the edge of my 6 month old Victoria & Albert Quarrycast bathtub. I've called Victoria & Albert and they are adamant that they don't recommend anyone for repairs. They are pushing me off to the place I purchased it, Ferguson, who is referring me to a bathtub repair person who advertises his skill with acrylic, fiberglass, cast iron, & steel...but this is a different material & I am not optimistic as he recommended I use "superglue" to attach the chip, but I'm fairly certain it is not going to work because the material is quite porous where it chipped off. Any updates from anyone?

Reply to
bg

It's questionable whether xavier is still viewing the uk.d-i-y news group nearly 13 years on.

When our bath (not the same material as yours) was damaged we were fortunate to find a fitter who'd previously worked on yachts to do what amounted to a gel-coat repair. As V&A Quarrycast seems to be a resin-based material, a similar approach may work... Do you have boatyards nearby?

Reply to
mark.bluemel

On Wed, 4 Oct 2017 00:34:32 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com coalesced the vapors of human experience into a viable and meaningful comprehension...

I saw some enamel chip touch-up recently. I think it was in Wilco. I am happy my efforts a few years ago, I used white nail enamel, the chip was well above the waterline though.

Reply to
Graham.