Guess the speed.

Think that is the likely explanation. If she'd hit the brakes hard when she saw the cat it would likely only have hit one car. From 20 mph.

Not heard of any.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

I never noticed any, even with the 5 litre V8 engine in my ML500. My Triumph 2.5PI RWD did though. If you lifted off quickly at high revs, the shock of the very heavy engine and gearbox assembly unwinding would give a very noticeable twitch to the left.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

A Toyota Yaris .

Ooops seems weight is more in the 1.09 Tonne range

Reply to
soup

Gerraway!

;-)

Reply to
JNugent

But the road is the bit that belongs to the public at large... yes?

Reply to
JNugent

My wife's car was written off a few weeks ago. A builder working across the road parked too close to it and a truck squeezing by caught the bumper.

The car was valued at £1580 (it's 17 years old) and the only damage was two (replaceable) plastic clips broken out, foglight bulb-holder lugs snapped and plastic bumper slightly damaged.

We got the £1580 and they gave us the car back for nothing. It cost me £150 for a bumper (with foglight) from a scrapyard, some paint and a pack of clips.

I could have bought it all brand new and painted the right colour for £300 and it takes about 15 minutes to fit!

Reply to
Steve Walker

Probably true.

I am... er... familiar with that housing type.

I've seen it a few times before.

Reply to
JNugent

Why?

I have never seen the street in question and had no information on the housing form.

In the case of terraced housing and even other forms, such as flats and even semi-detached, parking on-street is not always allowed (some such housing has double yellow lines outside).

There is no prescriptive right to park outside and there is a school of thought to the effect that all vehicles should be garaged off street at the home of the owner and/or user, with street parking only allowed at the far end of any journey.

Reply to
JNugent

In message <op.1kzprxdgbyq249@pvr2>, Rod Speed snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

On Youtube there are videos of vehicles overturning virtually at walking pace, when they've (for example) simply mounted the kerb at an unfortunate angle.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Didn't realise you were one of the anti-car lobby. A Green, eh?

But the road belonging to the public at large explains a good deal too. So I'd guess you are a cyclist or have one of those electric scooters? Or anything else that uses it without paying?

BTW, every single parked car which was hit had paid for resident parking. Perhaps you'd tell our council that the roads belong to all, and can be used freely?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Best not to believe Wodney. No properties where the house is built on the edge of the pavement round here. He probably gets his views of England from Coronation Street.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

That is your school of thought, then? But being you, you'd qualify it so as not to be inconvenienced by it (allowed at the far end of a journey) Are you actually Rees-Mogg in drag?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

UK d-i-y not England d-i-y

Just because he generalises does NOT mean nowhere has what he invisages.

There's bound to be a word that means not everything in your experience is how it is everywhere

Reply to
soup

And how would that be ? Remember no taxes/excise duties are hypothecated in the UK

Reply to
soup

There are streets where parking is time-limited for the general public and unlimited (eg overnight) for residents - who have to pay for a resident's pass to park overnight. Could that be the situation for this thread?

Reply to
NY

Right. Hadn't even thought of that. That's what I get for reading without understanding

I dislike situations where the bay is marked 'permit holders only' where the paint has worn so much that you don't know the bay is 'permit holders only' until you pull into it, then you notice and have to go elsewhere

Reply to
soup

In much of London, the other way round. A resident parking permit allows you to park during the day. Free for all evenings and weekends. But does vary place to place.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

My SiL wrote her car and a parked car off on the way to a speed awareness course. My brother who is a mechanic said the only thing stopping the parked car's wheel from rolling away was the handbrake cable.

She says she was only doing 20MPH.

Reply to
ARW

A neighbours old parked up Vetra was hit by a bus a few years ago.

All it needed was a new front passenger door. The car was written off and the bus company said "Your car is drivable and safe, it's worth £1200 and we will give you £1200 and let you keep your car"

New door in matching colours from the scrap yard £70. Took a couple of hours to swap as the new door did not include trim or glass.

A week later the same bus driver hit the Vetra again and wrote it off for a second time.

Reply to
ARW

I can imagine hitting one car at 20 mph. This was effectively 4.

The natural reaction when you see an accident about to happen is to stand on the brakes. At 20mph, on a decent surface, the car should stop in little more than one car's length. Far less when hitting a stationary object.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News