Guardsman fabric protection

Hello all, We've just taken delivery of a cane conservatory suite. We paid for the seat cushions and scatter cushions to be Scotchgarded. In the event they have apparently be treated at the manufacturers with Guardsman. I was surprised when I tested with a drop of tap-water that all the cushions behaved like blotting paper - no beading, just absorbed straight in. I obviously would rather not test with something that might stain.

The guarantee certificate is apparently 'on the way'. In the meantime, any comments on my tap-water test? Have I been stitched-up?

Reply to
s0lstice

Two trade names for what 'should' be almost the same product. Scotchguard is the 3M product that has become the generic name for flurocarbon fabric protection.

That doesn't sound right at all. I ran a carpet cleaning company a few years ago and the way to sell fabric protector to Mrs Houswife is by demonstration. I used to carry pieces of kitchen paper, half sprayed with protector - you couldnt see which half was treated. Pouring the dregs of a cup of coffee (or even water) over the paper gave a startling result, soaked into the untreated half, beaded up on the treated piece.

I reckon so, I've never come across a fabric protector, even the old silicone based ones, that didn't 'bead'. If water soaked in, then so will anything else.

I'd get them round to demonstrate.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Thanks for the reply Dave.

The dealer has finally admitted that no protection has been applied to the fabric. Apparently, the manufacturer stopped doing it 'some time ago' because it 'compromises the fireproofing of upholstered furniture'. At least we are getting a refund, so I can compromise it myself.

Reply to
s0lstice