delivery of blocks ? leave on pavement

I am having my path block paved and the delivery is due on Friday. The contractor is expecting to have them delivered onto the pavement and stay there for a few days.

Is this the best place for them? Is there a law about obstruction? would the road be better? who deals with this in the council?

cheers

philip

Reply to
Philip

No idea about the proper legal position, but I would think on the pavement would be illegal. On the road would be better, but it would have to be marked out with reflective cones (or similar barrier + reflective material) to stop traffic crashing into them in the dark

Reply to
Alan

Highways Dept. However they'll undoubtedly bury you in red tape if you contact them...

I'd be tempted to put them on the pavement and trust that by the time someone from the council comes round to whinge at you, they'll be gone. Can you leave a gap for pedestrians/pushchairs/wheelchairs?

Is it a busy/fast road? Consider implications of someone killing themeselves driving their car into the pallet on a dark evening and who they will sue?

David

Reply to
Lobster

You need a licence from the Council to store building materials, skips etc on the pavement.

sponix

Reply to
sPoNiX

My local council think it is ok to leave emptied wheelie bins and recycling boxes any old how obstructing the pavement so it would be hypocrocy to complain about blocks that had been considerately stacked so as not to cause an obstruction. But that is local councils for you.

Kevin

Reply to
kajr

From the contractor's point of view it probably is. Putting them in the work area means he would have to keep moving them around during the job. An alternative would be to put them on private property, perhaps part of your garden or even, as I have seen, on the next-door neighbour's drive, presumably with permission.

Yes

The contractor should have obtained a licence from the Council to store the blocks on the highway (which includes pavements), which will detail where they can be stored and what precautions will be required to protect users of the highway. Ask to see that. You could also ask him whether he will be protecting the blocks in accordance with Chapter 8 of the Traffic Signs Manual. If he looks blank in response to either question, check his work very carefully as he may well be a less than reputable contractor.

Highways Department, but it is a bit late to get them involved now, if they don't already know about it. Around here, they used to require at least six weeks advance notice of closing part of a highway for temporary works.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Pavement would be better as there is less chance of causing a serious acccident.

Reply to
Mike Harrison

So it's better to force pedestrians, pushchairs and wheelchairs into the path of oncoming vehicles to avoid some idiot driving into a pile of bricks?

Reply to
Rob Morley

I'd leave well alone, let the contrator take the full responsabilty for doing this, and any problems he causes.

By the time the council get round to checking what you are up to, they will be gone anyways.

Just don't heave the spare 1/2 pack of blocks on the pavment for 10+ years after the contrator has finished.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

stacked

Hmm, me thinks even a full wheelie bin is some what different to a half tonne of bricks!

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

No, they shouldn't be there at all. Cars parked on tha pavement deserve to get scraped.

Reply to
Bob Eager

around in

that

taken

deserve

Oh right then, so you are in favour of *legally* parked vehicles blocking roads for larger vehicles, such as fire engines etc. Rather than some common sense on all parties...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

that

taken

blocking

If there was room to get a large vehicle down the road then you do have a point, but if not, would you prefer that the road was blocked to large vehicles (such as Fire engines [1]) due to *legally* parked cars?

[1] were do you think the Fire crew will man handle (or ram) such vehicles to, yes the pavement!
Reply to
:::Jerry::::

That was answered by the second part of my post which you conveniently snipped.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

No, I said they shouldn't be there at all. Do try and keep up.

Reply to
Bob Eager

There is never a need for a lorry or large vehicle) to park on a road blocking the passage of emergency vehicles.

Unload yes, park no.

Just because a lorry or large vehicle driver has to be at a property all day doesn't absolve him of the responsibility to stop (on the road), unload and then move the vehicle to a safer parking spot.

Reply to
Geoffrey

Rather

What, the legally parked cars should not be their, you moron, perhaps your car should not be on the road either... Perhaps it's you family who should be the ones who don't get rescued due to *legally* parked cars, rather than being parked illegally but with some common sense on all parties.

I suggest that it's you who needs to keep up rather than being the ignoranus in his ivory tower...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

your

legally

blocked

parked

conveniently

Yes I know, I was just re enforcing the point that your original remarks were noting but an ignorant rant!

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

about

No, I'm not talking about lorries parking but the ignorant car driver who thinks that there is plenty enough space for others to pass whilst only thinking about cars and not those who need to pass in large vehicles.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

No, I think you just like the look of your own posts, a bit like people who like the sound of their own voice and never shut up. It was, afterall, a totally pointless post which you admit I had already answered.

It was a rant, I admit that, but it's based on first hand experience, not ignorance. You obviously have no experience of the problems caused by inconsiderate parking when you are trying to push a wheelchair or pushchair along the pavement.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq