Gas hob problem

I just bought a flat to rent out and the gas hob has a couple of problems Overall the hob is very clean and not obviously abused. The large burner wont light by itself but gentle blowing at the burner and it lights ok

The smallest burner appears to have no gas coming out - presumably blocked somewhere.

Are these common/easy to fix problems?

TIA Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Bob Minchin has brought this to us :

Yes, usually!

No gas is likely the jet blocked with grease. The failing to light might as simple as the spark gap distorted, the gas port at that location obstructed.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Thanks Harry, I've found a youtube video showing the small hole allowing gas to get near to the spark gap so I'll check that.

My only experience of gas burner goes back to one piece cast iron burner heads with a single metering jet at the other end from the flame and an open adjustable air gap to control the mixture. Almost impossible for the jet to block. I'm guessing that modern ones work differently if grease can block a jet. I'm going back tomorrow armed with tools and tooth picks to see what I can find.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

On my cheap hob the burners just lift of. The holes/grooves in the top parts are likely to be partially or fully blocked with burnt on crud that has spilt over from a pan on the hob . Soak them in hot soapy water and then clean out the grooves/holes with a wire brush (I use my barbecue brush) or a Billo pad. I've found in the past that even a small amount of crud causes the problem of having to blow the flame around to light it.

If the burner just lifts off you may/will find a hole in the base of the hop from which the gas emerges. Use a bit of wire (fuse wire) to clear a blocked hole.

Reply to
alan_m

Bob Minchin submitted this idea :

They are quite similar, but usually the air is none adjustable. It might be easier to unscrew the jet and pop it in boiling soapy water, then rinse it, if it proves to be blocked with grease.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Thanks Alan, I will go back tomorrow more suitably equipped to investigate. Sounds like it should be fixable from above.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

We had a cooker with four similar cast iron burners the air inlet was none adjustable mind. Damn thing frightened the life out of me one morning when I was about 7 or 8. Decided that I'd make Mum and Dad a morning cup of tea, lit the gas (matches none of this automatic electrical nonsense) and it backfired making a helluva roar withe the gas burning from the jet and down the tube to the ring. Rather abrupt awakening of Mum and Dad, who never got a cup of tea.

I don't think so the tube from the jet and air inlet makes sure they are well mixed before the flame spreader and burning. Fairly sure the jet is part of the valve rather than the burner. It is on our backup two ring camping gas hob. Mind you how well it's protected from grease or condesating grease is another matter.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

But do make sure that there are smoke and co 2 alarms in the flat as its a legal requirement these days for rented out properties. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Not so apparently Brian. This is a flat within a building. The landlord of the building should have a smoke alarm on each floor. (logically these are only any use in the communal areas. Carbon Monoxide (not Dioxide) alarms are only needed where solid fuel is in use.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Well my hob never lights directly after washing the burners and while they're still a bit damp. Have to use a lighter initially, but after burning for 5 mins to heat and dry out they then light OK. Never understood it.

Reply to
therustyone

and unsealed gas applianced.

Reply to
charles

Ah! I did not see that twist when I looked. I have a gas hob so presumably I need a CO alarm within the flat or in the kitchen itself? Do you have a reference please?

TIA Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin