A mate came round this evening with the igniter module our of a gas hob
which was sparking continously.
It has two mains input terminals and four hgh voltage outputs one to each
A mechanical button, operated by a push rod from a button on the hob works a
simple switch inside the module
We opened it up and it was perfectly clean inside and the switch showed no
signs of sticking.
So with care I connected the input terminals to the mains and improvised a
spark gap of a few mm. Then with a plastic tool operated the switch, lo and
behold a nice stream of sparks. Let go of the switch and the sparks stop -
just as it should do.
He has put is back in the hob, and it sparks by itself.
I can't think why this should be or what the hell is going on.
I have a horrible feeling the next phone call will be to get me round to his
place for a look.
I can either take the phone of the hook or consult the collective wisdom of
A seach of Google groups has not thrown up suggestions other than lack of
cleanliness or dampness. This hob is squeaky clean and the module had no
grease in sight.
Any Ideas please?