EV Charging

ALL of your neighbours ?. Even the ones without south-facing roofs or the ones that live in flats ?.

People who don't like being criticized generally have a problem.

Reply to
Andrew

Yes; charge point, cable and MCB.

Assuming things haven't changed ... the grant is specific to the person (and you need to have ordered the car).

I offered to sell it to the purchaser but they didn't want it and I did.

Reply to
nothanks

What sort of person would take their loft insulation with them !.

Although carpets are mentioned, what is stop people taking their expensive (or cheap) engineered/laminate flooring ?. Not mentioned, nor is any mention of dead pets (or even relatives) buried in the grounds (legally).

Reply to
Andrew

I'm near the South Coast, a bit too far I suspect. I was hoping for elaboration of the need for a signal cable, which the Doncaster cable has built in (2-core or cat5e).

Did you have to connect these up ?. Does the energy supplier have the right to stop an EV car being charged by remote control (in times of supply stress).

Reply to
Andrew

That's intended for smart chargers such as the zappi, so it has one or more pairs of data cable to connect to one or more current transformers (e.g. on the mains feed, or solar feed)

Of course as it's insulated to mains levels, you *can* use it as cat5 cable, I'd say gland it off into a box, then separate the data and power wires off from there.

Reply to
Andy Burns

no

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Some chargers have a current sensor on a meter tail, which senses the total current being consumed in the house and throttles back the charging current if there's a risk of exceeding the supply capacity. The signal cable to which you refer is almost certainly intended for that.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Not necessarily. The earthing requirement is for making sure that your car bodywork can't become live if the supply earth is lost and another fault occurs at the same time. This mainly applies to TN-C supplies where earth and neutral are combined, and isn't a problem with TN-S supplies. In any case, many EV chargers now have built-in PEN protection, which immediately disconnects them in the event of such a fault.

As to whether you need a separate supply cable, that will depend on the capacity of the existing cable. There seems to be tendency to use oversize cable to minimise the voltage drop and, perhaps, provide future-proofing. So, if the existing cable is less than 6 mm^2, it might be marginal.

Reply to
Roger Mills

In the absence of a power supply problem would the ev charging be at a constant rate or does the battery dictate what power it can absorb and turn it down?

Reply to
AJH

They are the same thing. What limits charge current is usually heat. Eye squared Arrr, probably a temp sensor in the pack as braces, but the belt is constant permissible charge current. As the voltage rises to 'fully charged' the charger will simply switch off..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

the EVSE* will tell the car how much it is allowed to take, this may be a fixed setting, or it may vary depending on consumption elsewhere in the house and/or your own solar generation.

The in-car charger will determine how much it wants to take, dependant on how much it is allowed and things like battery temperature.

  • the box on the wall that most people refer to as a 'charger' isn't really, it's just a glorified relay and a bit of signalling
Reply to
Andy Burns

So these EVs with range extender engines will have the engines running at constant power whenever they need to charge whether the car is moving or not?

Reply to
AJH

It's easy to make open offers when someone else is paying - like pensioners who have to decide whether to heat or eat, and whether to die of cold or starvation.

Reply to
bert

OVO claim their customers can charge their cars with 100% renewable energy. I've asked them to explain just how that works but so far no response.

Reply to
bert

You probably don't need one. Don't be taken in by the salesman, A slow overnight charge from a 13a socket is all most people need. No-one runs their battery to depletion, you only put back in what you've taken out. Slow charges prolong battery life too. Work out where you're going and power and energy needed. An overnight slow charge typically gives over 100 miles of range.

Reply to
harry

so, my 400 mile, 7 hour, journey takes 4 days in an EV?

Reply to
charles

Presumably because OVO only buy their power from the renewable generators. Just like a lot of the other suppliers do and claim. I find it hard to believe that claim of "100% renewable energy" is acuatlly true on a day like today with 70% of demand coming from gas and nuke.

I wonder if there is an advertisng standards case to answer?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Well one electron on the grid is much the same as another so it's all bollocks anyway.

Reply to
Tim Streater

"The Drive editor-at-large Alex Roy and the car?s owner, Daniel Zorrilla, drove a Tesla Model 3 across country from Los Angeles to New York City in 50 hours, 16 minutes and 32 seconds, setting another Cannonball Run record for an electric vehicle."

"The pair drove approximately 2,860 miles from Redondo Beach, California to its final destination, the Red Ball garage in New York City, at speeds ranging from 120 to 140 miles per hour.

'We had a spotter plane flying overhead looking for police, rating us the police locations, night visions, binoculars, scanner, it?s like a military operation,' Roy said.

Roy and Zorrilla spent just over $100 in total charging costs and kept the heater off in the car to save battery life. "

2860 miles / 50.25 hours = 56 miles per hour averaging in charge time, while driving well over that speed on the highway (120kph to 140kph)

Using those kinds of numbers, your 400 mile trip takes 8 hours or so, just rounding a bit.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

if there were guaranteed working & free charging points and if I had a Tesla. I couldn't afford the spotter plane

Reply to
charles