Lawn tractor charging light

I have a JD 172 lawn tractor. After starting it up the battery light stays on. I tried a new battery , but it still stays on. Is there an easy why to track down the problem? Thanks Mike

Reply to
c1gmlm

Hi, Three things, battery, charger which is alternator(old days it was generator) and regulator(could be integral to alternator. Have a multi-meter? See what the charging voltage is first. Checking the battery with hydrometer is good too. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang