EV Charging

Electrically driven, of course, if you're out to reduce local pollution. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Going to get stolen.

Reply to
2987fr

Go along that road and you will see another version of the rainwater channel I mentioned except it is the covered type rather than the slotted by every downpipe. <

So put the outlets on the house walls alongside the phone junction boxes replace the metal channels with the slotted type that a cable can be laid in and job done. In practice nothing will be so straightforward and the lack of a dedicated parking spot will be a problem. One way would be what some areas already have is a residents parking schemes and as EV use develops and an acknowledgment that the concept of your own personal charging point is just not practical ,and though an outlet may be on your front facing wall all such points are common use and agreeing to that is part of getting a residents permit. Working out how costs are apportioned to the right account I?ll leave for someone else to work out but possibly with outlets connected to the web and a terminal pad like found on railway ticket barriers that people place a card /smartphone on.

Some may not like the idea of ?their? infrastructure being used by others but many others no longer have such worries and accept that people using a WiFi point on their premises is just part of normal life.

Still it is all conjecture at the moment and until EV use becomes the rule rather than the exception who knows how things will turn out. It may be that for some car ownership will just become too awkward.

GH

Reply to
Marland

See where the natural thoughts and instincts of an Australian with the genes of criminal stock coursing through them leads to straight away.

Insert standard Rod Troll response below this line.

GH

Reply to
Marland

Going off the subject and more to your daily work what is the round antenna on this chimney on one of the houses in that street?

<

GH

Reply to
Marland

A couple of houses have them. Looks like microwave, maybe a link to somewhere with good broadband?

Cheers

Reply to
Clive Arthur

Does each house currently (NPI) have its own petrol dispense point? No of course not. You will take your car to the nearest garage to fill it up. Battery and charger technology are already available to chatge to 80% at

350kW. For an average 200/250 mile EV with a 40kWh battery that will charge to 80% in about 7 minutes, just a tad longer than the normal petrol tankup time. Plus you will be able to top up at virtually any public parking place eventually - supermarkets, public car parks etc etc. Yes the infrastructure is not quite there yet, but give it another 7 - 10 years and we will be there. Battery and charger technology development has never had so much money and manpower thrown at it in the history of the universe. Battery capacities and charge power will steadily evolve.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Bennet

Try this link instead:)

Its an Ionica aerial see the other reply..

tony sayer

My nearest and second nearest don't have charging points. It would be great if every petrol station had charging points.

My nearest one appears to be in a hotel car pack which I do't; think you're allowed to use unless you have a room booked.

Not much use if you can;t get to them though.

are there enough charging points though, as I said ZERO at my closest garage.

Eventually but how much are these public carparks ?

- supermarkets, public car parks etc etc.

Then I guess people might wait until then.

Much more is thrown at petrol and oil. One of the reason electric vehicals aren't doing as well as they should in teh US because those selling Electric cars don't make as much profit on them as they do selling petrol cars so they aren't marketed as strongly and some even discorage a potential buyer from buying an electric car, because they also make less money on the petrol sales.

But fossil fuel use has also become more efficient.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Is the service at IKEA really that slow?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Ah yes, thanks. <fx: vague sound of ancient bells ringing.>

Cheers

Reply to
Clive Arthur

Not really, I gave one suggestion below but the adoption of EVs is still at such an early stage for most people that any suggestion made now could be picked apart,argued against discussed ,made obsolete so until adoption becomes more mainstream there isn?t much point in anyone claiming a good method at this point.

When I said with outlets connected to the web and a terminal pad that can be touched by a smart card,phone like the railway barriers then most people would realise that was a suggestion to apportion the charge to those who were plugged in at the time, not the person on whose premises the charger happens to be on, did that point pass you by? Perhaps to make such a system workable no one would actually own the charger even if it is on their property with a publicly accessible outlet . No one seems to worry that they have gas,electric ,water meters in their homes that they don?t actually own but accept that is how it is done to get the service so if people want to charge their vehicles when they and their neighbours mix and match parking like now they would have to accept it.

Those who have a Broadband contract with BT can use the WIFI provision of other BT users apart from some who have opted not to allow it. Using one doesn?t put their bill up and charging points run in the way I suggested would not either, though I suppose there could be some initial cost in making sure the house infrastructure is capable of supporting a charger that could be used for hours on end but an installation should be done safely anyway. That is if the mains supply to domestic premises is adequate in the first place which it probably isn?t, still if gas goes ,wood and coal burning gets banned the electrical infrastructure in streets may well need a serious upgrade anyway and that still doesn?t solve the problem of where all this electric is going to come from.

GH

Reply to
Marland

And you appear to have got the wrong end of the stick. The charger or the property may be yours but the energy cost would be apportioned to whoever activated it by using their card/phone/ palm print ,retina scan etc on the external pad/ reader on the wall by the socket.

Blagging implies a degree of unapproved use, BT broadband customers can legitimately use other BT customers WiFi to gain access legitimately on a reciprocal basis , it is possible if people are really concerned they can alter their router settings so that cannot happen but most don?t bother which is what I mean by many people no longer worrying about others using ?their? infrastructure.

The charger and its connection need not be yours, just located on your property.

There is room enough for a socket on the walls of many houses in similar residential streets, the charger itself will be inside somewhere .A future descendent of You living in such a street may not have much choice in the matter if as part of getting a residents parking permit reciprocal use of charging outlets is made a condition of obtaining such a permit. You don?t want to be part of such an arrangement and allow room for a charger in the premises then you won?t get a permit and will have to park and charge your EV elsewhere.

You sound the type who hates the idea of a utility cable deigning to cross your property or a common sewer running underneath , but those are are well established examples of infrastructure serving others for the common good even if they impinge someone?s property.

GH

Reply to
Marland

Yes it isn't that simple is it?.

If its on your property and you can't park there;(..

Any cables from the wall someone will trip over them, only possible way is to have a sort of overhead coupling device a bit like some very old petrol pumps that had hanging hoses?

Perhaps we need an Overhead line system, bit like the railways up pantograph;)

Running a tad less than the usual 25 kV..

Reply to
tony sayer

Just for amusement anyone know what the cable box and loop is for in the bottom left hand side of that image?...

Reply to
tony sayer

Several of the houses on both sides of the street have them. Further down the street there is a loop but no box fitted and it seems the cable that loops down is one continuous run down the whole street. I wonder if this is FTTP that avoids digging up the street.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

In article snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com, Tricky Dicky snipped-for-privacy@sky.com scribeth thus

Nope! It was a wired distribution system called British relay in a way the forerunner of Cable TV a documentary here explains why and how they came into existence.

We had to adopt TV's to take their set top box and they did provide the much sought after ITV London which many considered to be a much better station than the local Anglia ITV service. It distributed the signal in Video base band on a balanced HF pair not too bad when it left the base at Kings Hedges road but it wasn't too bright after it got to the other side of town. The advent of UHF single aerial reception and colour TV saw it gone but bits of the infrastructure are still in place!.

In fact the old mast on the left is still standing in this Pic I think it fell down a year or so a year back.

tony sayer

Ah! Yes we had British Relay about late fifties early sixties. I remember the cables and the rather fat cable snaking round the room from the window to where the TV was ending in a multi pin plug not the neat wall plate shown in the film. I can remember the cables attached to each house but do not remember those circular joint boxes. I am surprised any of that any infra structure still exists theses days.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

The cables are too high for the diddies...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I wondered but it looked in too good a condition.

I go along this road about once a year and have watched the old cable between chimneys and buildings gradually get less, mostly in the past 3 years, a large chunk went when the old hotel/ pub further along got turned into a shop and it was tided up.

Does anyone else drive their missus mad about pointing out such old bits of infrastructure on journeys rather than pay attention to the ? pretty? things she may be interested in?

The small pillar in the middle of the other two by this building still carries the initials of the West Devon Electric Supply Company on it the pole alongside going a couple of years ago when cables went underground, I wonder how much longer it will be there.

up the road there is a distribution box from the same company

The decorative panels are marked by brass inlays, they don?t make them like that anymore.

GH

Reply to
Marland