Home EV Charging

Illinois will soon require it in new or remodeled homes.

I can't imagine what lengths people will go to to avoid a remodel job being under the rules.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

I can't imagine why you chose to comment without reading the act:

Show my where it says anything about home remodeling?

Section 10. Applicability. This Act applies to newly constructed single-family homes and multi-unit residential buildings that have parking spaces and are constructed after the effective date of this Act.

The only mention of remodeling is

All building permits issued 90 days after the effective date of this Act shall require a new, large multifamily residential building or a large multifamily residential building being renovated by a developer converting the property to an association to have 100% of its total parking spaces EV-capable. However, nothing in this Act shall be construed to require that in the case of a developer converting the property to an association, no EV-capable or EV-ready mandate shall apply if it would necessitate the developer having to excavate an existing surface lot or other parking facility in order to retro-fit the parking lot or facility with the necessary conduit and wiring.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

We've both heard that old adage that a house is not a home. In this case, home can be a multifamily building.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

The democrats are sneaky bastards. First they mandate commercial code. A year later, they'll sneak it into residential.

Reply to
Skid Marks

They want to make it a law here in DE too along with dictate that only EV's can be sold after 2035.

This happened a couple of miles away yesterday:

Do not know how a lawn mower could do this but I would never have an EV in my garage.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

I didn't see anything in this article about the mower being a battery powered one. People are naturally skeptical of new stuff anyhow. It seems like a good share of new cars have recalls for stuff that should have been mastered years ago.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Probably not an poorly stated but I would not want something potentially dangerous in my garage.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Hot muffler, dry paper = fire.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

There are far more gas car fires than EV fires per hundred thousand units.

"1529.9 fires per 100k sales for gas vehicles and just 25.1 fires per 100k sales for electric vehicles"

Better not park your car in the garage.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

I live in an old house with knob-and-tube wiring, fuses, and a 60-amp circuit.

How would home EV charging work with that?

Reply to
Fishrrman

Then no car should be in your garage. Plenty of ICE auto have started fires. Check what chemicals you have too. Don't forget sharp tools.

Reply to
Ed P

Very slow but could be done.

Reply to
Ed P

Key words: EV-capable

Most new homes are. What defines "remodel"? Changing the bathroom? Adding a new room or two?

Reply to
Ed P

A Level I charger runs (typically) at 12 amps, 1,400 watts, or about a toaster oven's worth of electricity. It'll give you about 5 miles of distance for every hour of charging.

So if you can plug in a toaster oven and have it work, then you should have no problem with a L-I charger.

(You might have to turn it off to run your toaster oven. Maybe)

Reply to
danny burstein

No you don't.

Does your insurance company know ?

John T.

Reply to
hubops

Just sitting around in garages?

That isn't a real breakdown unfortunately.

I've seen that act get out of hand more than once back in the day.

There's a grade out of Baker CA with a number of car shaped scorch marks on the shoulder. 110 degrees, nice oily overheated engine, and you have a barbecue.

A fellow FS worker set a grassy field on fire with a hot catalytic converter but we saved the green rig.

I suppose there is a possibility of some kind of short going undetected and starting a fire at 3AM but I would love to know the frequency versus EV battery problems.

Reply to
rbowman

Good question.

But how many of each category happen after the car is turned off and left alone. Versus how many happen while one is driving or working on the engine or at least standing near the running engine, and the driver can do things like put out the fire or move the car out of the garage? It's the stealth nature of electric vehice fires that worries people**.

I Can't remember details but right after I got a washable air filter for my car, I had iirc a backfire that set fire to the air filter. But I was right there to put it out, no chance it would burn down my hosue.

True. There was a house half-way burnt down around here in the past week by a fire that started in the garage. On Nextdoor someone who may be wrong said it was an electric bicycle parked in the garage.

Reply to
micky

Goodness. Let's read Illinois Senate Bill 40, shall we?

"Synopsis As Introduced "Creates the Electric Vehicle Charging Act. Provides that the Act applies to new single-family homes and newly constructed or renovated multi-unit residential buildings that have parking spaces and are constructed or renovated after the effective date of the Act. Defines terms. Provides that a new single-family residence or a small multifamily residence shall have at least one electric vehicle capable parking space for each residential unit that has dedicated parking, unless any subsequently adopted building code requires additional electric vehicle capable parking spaces or installed electric vehicle supply equipment. Includes electric vehicle parking space requirements for a new, large multifamily residential building or a large multifamily residential building being renovated by a developer converting the property to an association. Includes electric vehicle parking space requirements for affordable housing and for an existing multi-unit residential building subject to an association that undertakes renovation. Includes electric vehicle charging station policies for unit owners and for renters."

Nothing in there about renovated single-family homes.

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

My big concern about batteries is that unlike gasoline that needs oxygen to burn all the energy in a charged battery is self contained and the bigger the battery the more the energy.

We have all heard about the EV car fires that could not be extinguished and we have heard of EV bicycle fires. I would not want anything with a large battery stored in my garage.

I think the post office has relented on shipping items with small lithium batteries but recall a few years ago shipping a small item and was asked if it contained a lithium battery.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

There are lots of places, particularly in the American South where that is considered a palace!!!!

Reply to
Clare Snyder