Looking for a Bravia mounting bracket

Someone just gave me a bare 55 inch Sony Bravia TV with standard 300x300mm vesa mounting screw holes. I have a heavy low-slung 'stand' with a 200x65mm mounting pattern. (I can't find out if this is a vesa standard)

Does such a thing exist as an adapter bracket to join the two together please?

I called Home Depot and a few retailers and they hadn't a clue. They just tried to sell me a wall mounting bracket

Or does every one of those low-slung stands fit only the TV for which it was designed? (the one for my tv is described as 'wobbly' and would probably fall over too easily in my installation)

Reply to
DManzaluni

Sounds like you should make it yourself. All y ou need is one piece of flat metal thick enough not to bend. If it's aluminum it has to be thicker than if it's steel. Drill 300x300 holes to mount it to the TV and 200x65 holes to mount it to the stand.

I'm not sure what tools you have, but you can cut the metal with a hacksaw, or a metal cutting blade on a home-size bandsaw, or a sabre saw or what's the name of the bigger one. Or the place that sells you the metal may cut it to size for you. HomeDepot etc. might do that, but metal supply stores certainly can.

If you don't have an electric drill and a set of bits, that's something everyone should have. Variable speed reversing.

I'm looking for the mail order place I bought something and I found this place I didn't know about.
100+ stores. Scroll down to see a map of where they all are. But the map doesn't show the one in Baltimroe that the first link went to. Or buy over the net. What it doesn't seem to have is a list of metal sizes. The store I bought from listed everything.

Well, there are lots of other stores in the google search above.

Here it is,

Online metals. I thought I'd remember more quickly such a good name.

It woudl still be better to hold it in your hand so you coudl "tell" how strong it was.

Reply to
micky

It's less convenient and maybe even more money, but you shoudl go some place local where you can see what kind of metal you're buying before you buy it.

Small pieces seem a lot stiffer and stronger than large pieces.

Reply to
micky

I'm afraid I dont trust myself to do that sort of work myself and dont have any facilities, - but does your response pre-suppose that you dont think I'll find what I am looking for?

Because if so, the answer might be to dump the base and get one of these

(Or use the present base just as a heavy stabiliser on top of that base)

Reply to
Amanda Ripanykhazova

Does your reply pre-suppose that I wont find what I am looking for?

Because if so, the answer might be to dump the base and get one of these

(Or use the present base just as a heavy stabiliser on top of that base)

Reply to
DManzaluni

Wow ! - $ 28. ! go for it. ... when I did a quick search for Sony Bravia feet -

- a pair was ~ $ 35. some were much more. John T.

Reply to
hubops

No, I don't know anything about modern tvs or bases.

Sometimes it's easier to make something than to hunt for it.

Your evil twin posted the same question.

Reply to
micky

OK Here's the real story: I am using a wall unit 20 years old and designed for old TVs. The space for the TV is completely the wrong shape so I have a 37 inch sitting on the 'ledge' at the front and overlapping the sides and top. It kinda works.

But this 55 inch may sit precariously on that ledge so I wanted to stabilise it a bit by using a heavy base. That $28 piece may be OK but the TV will be continuously moved to get at what is behind it and the TV WILL be very heavy at 19kg. It is going to be -very- heavy and awkward. to connect up, not to mention to change anything after it has been put in place.

That is why I am slightly keen on using the heavy base as opposed to a thin piece of glass.

Reply to
DManzaluni

Would there be a practical way to use magnets to hold things together?

This article seems to say magnets don't harm modern TVs. Velcro fasteners? Set the TV base on shelf then just basically balance it with extra weight to the back?

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

I have a bravia on my wall. I should have the feet in a box somewhere. Would original feet help?

Reply to
Thomas

Thanks for the offer and it might help but I suspect the original feet protrude too far out in front of the ledge such that the tv would topple forward onto the floor? That is why I was trying to use the heavy 'tabletop stand' directly underneath, - or something that attaches from the back

But if you could find it, do please tell me that I am wrong!

THANKS AGAIN

Reply to
Amanda Ripanykhazova

Thanks for the offer and it might help but I suspect the original feet protrude too far out in front of the ledge such that the tv would topple forward onto the floor? That is why I was trying to use the heavy 'tabletop stand' directly underneath, - or something that attaches from the back

But if you could find it, do please tell me that I am wrong!

THANKS AGAIN

Reply to
DManzaluni

How about picking up a 12"x12" square of 1/2" plywood, some metric bolts of the appropriate size (to fasten the plywood to the back of the set), a short length of 2x4 (18"?) and some steel angle braces and another piece of plywood for the base, using a sandbag to weigh the baseplate down?

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Can you extend the ledge farther forward. Admittedly, it was outside the window on the 5th floor, but I extended the window sill to make room for a charcoal grill. Worked well but I coudn't shut the window until the lighter fluid burned off. The one time I did for some reason, I broke the window from the heat.

But that went so well I extended another window sill to hold an AC. So when I opened the window, it wouldn't fall 60 feet to the ground. That worked well too.

Maybe you can use right angle brackets, screwed to rear edge at the top of the new shelf, which turn down and the screw into the back of main thing? 2 or even 3 screws in each half of each angle bracket. So nothing unusual would show in the front.

But if you could find it, do please tell me that I am wrong!

Reply to
micky

There's that evil twin again. You could also rearrange what's in the cabinet and what's not so you never had to move the TV to get anything.

Reply to
micky

How wide is this ledge? I did not look for them yet but if the ledge is 10 inches it will fit.

Reply to
Thomas

This whole question may have become academic when I might have discovered why I was GIVEN this 55 inch Bravia.

Suddenly it cuts out, gives the 6 blinks (repeatedly) and then turns off. It seems to be in its death throes!

Reply to
DManzaluni

Don't give up too soon ! It might well be at end-of-life .. but it might also be a simple thing. If it was me, I'd be doing some google searches and maybe a youtube search for " Sony Bravia turning off " or similar.

Make sure the little cooling/vent slots aren't clogged with dust.

Try some basics first : : fresh batteries in the remote : disconnect all the devices : unplug & inspect and re-plug power cord : disable Bravia Sync : factory reset : etc There are probably a few other things to try before opening it up .. John T.

Reply to
hubops

There are probably a few other things to try before opening it up .. Buy a new one. Get a warranty using the old serial number, send it back for a refund. Burn in hell if you believe in that. The new one is new.

Reply to
Thomas

You are right. There is a lot of tail-chasing going on.

There are a few non-working repairs out there, mostly involving resetting the software to cure this hardware fault.They DO work for about 6-7 hours if you let whatever is overheating cool down for a few hours. And there are a few involving cutting/grounding wires which sound suspiciously like curing the light flashing fault by taking out the light bulb.

I am beginning to agree with Thomas that the problem is happening so often that Sony should be held to account.

Reply to
DManzaluni