EV charging point cable question

Getting a “Pod Point” 7 kW EV charger installed next week for my car.

I’ve managed to place a “pull-through” rope for the electrician when he comes to do the install.

The quick and easy way for him to do it will be to drill through the wall below internal floor level but above ground level and then have a 18-24” vertical run of clipped cable to the charger.

I’m not too keen on the look of a clipped cable on the front of our house so am wondering about running channel up the wall on the inside, and then have the electrician drill through behind where the Pod Point is going to be mounted so that there’s no visible cable.

Obviously there are considerations regarding running a cable like this through a channel or conduit that will be plastered in and I’m not au fait with what’s allowed and not allowed regarding routing/conduit/plastering etc. In theory though, could it be done like this to conceal the cable? The length of conduit would be 24” at most I reckon.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Buried direct in plaster will preserve the full "clipped direct" current rating. but chances are you could drop in some conduit or channel without any problem (current handling wise).

Note that it will need to be in a prescribed zone if there is no visible accessory on the inside that might lead one to expect a cable to be there.

(Or it can go within 150mm of a vertical corner without anything visible if required. The alternative would be to protect it with decent steel conduit, or thick capping, or use SWA etc, or bury it more than 50mm deep)

Reply to
John Rumm

Ah, so buried in plaster is better than conduit from the “de-rating” POV?

It would be within 100mm of a vertical corner so I think it’s okay from that point.

Thanks. Most helpful.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

).

Just had a thought. Inside the house it will be well within 150mm of the internal corner. Outside though it would be about 400mm from the nearest external corner. Do the zones apply inside AND outside?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

as long as your walls are at least 50mm thick, the cable on the internal wall will be more than 50 mm from the external wall surface.

Plus you have a visible electrical accessory oputside (the charger) and from what you describe, the cable will be going in horizontally through the wall from internal to externally straight into the charger?

Reply to
No Name

Yup. Its reference method B rather than C:

John Rumm

Outside the house, the cable will be (1) inline with a visible accessory (i.e. the charger), and (2) buried more than 50mm from the surface, so no need to worry.

Reply to
John Rumm

Its the radius of the bend that would worry me. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa