Energy supplier wants to fit Smart Meters - good?

Andrew brought next idea :

I was doing that and feeding the data into a spreadsheet once per week, but it really didn't compare to the 30 minute samples I get now, nor the instantaineous consumption readings via the remote display.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

You forgot to mention the pet Black Mamba you leave free to roam the house :)

Reply to
Robin

which are too labour intensive to be worth bothering with. With computer data you can automatically anaylse 100,000 houses at once, and sell 10s of addresses to criminals per day. Means, motive & opportunity.

When present there's lots of other consumption too. Not too hard to tell them apart.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Yes, but the data is from one non PC source only. All PCs/tablets are unpowered.

Reply to
Capitol

That won't happen on my phone line, which is still intermittent! Does wonders for putting off spam calls!

Reply to
Capitol

I see you are as paranoid as my wife!

Reply to
Capitol

She's not an animal person!

Reply to
Capitol

1 minute logging interval for consuption, 5 mins for voltage here. "Real time" display of consumption. Web based plots of both available. Not a smart meter in sight or letting a third party have the data either.

CuurentCost consumption monitor for power, UPS for voltage, via the server running linux. A Raspberry Pi could do all of it without breaking into a sweat.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Aye, it'll happen even if it's as simple as an inside job and a memory stick.

Effectively yes as I send and collect mail but that is nothing like the level of use when people are home and awake. Another big give away that the place is/is not occupied.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Currentcost doesn't measure power only current and it estimates power. Do you correct it using the voltage info from the UPS?

A Pi can do it without the currentcost if you buy a cheap current sensor or time the pulses from the meter if it has the LED.

Reply to
dennis

I'd be more worried about the sales droid where you bought that expensive item telling his mate where you live. Then they can pop around and knock the door and burgle you if you don't answer. Or maybe one of those leaflet stuffers that are always about looking for people that look like they need some of their property replacing.

Reply to
dennis

It's close enough, < 1kWHr error per day on 20+ KWHrs of consumption. The coupling betwen tails and current transformer is the source of the error not the voltage which here is 240 +/- 5V absolute maximum. Unless the local primary substation is on the backup feed when it goes from 230V up to 255+ (yes out of tolerance.

Needs some form of buffering and AD convertor, doesn't provide the realtime display without adding one.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice