Electric car

Rather missing the point that there?s little need for super fast charging at home. Most folk sleep for part of the day. ;-)

Being able to recharge quickly mid-journey is what is needed.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Its all evolution.

If food is generally available except for short term famines, massive breasts and huge buttocks will keep the mums and kids alive long enough to die of infant diarrhoea...and polygamy will sort out things when the males kill each other

Whereas where food supply is down to hard work and planning, intelligence becomes more useful

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes, but little does not mean none. A teenager, living with parents may use the family car and get back at 2 in the morning, when one of the parents has to set off on a business trip at 4 and don't want to have top set of earlier to charge en-route..

Or people may just have a very sick relative that means that after getting home, they have to be available to set off at any time in case of emergency - and such a sick relative might be ill for a couple of years, so not just a one off.

Edge cases maybe

Reply to
Steve Walker

No problem.

Reply to
Steve Walker

That's becasue we need to see it improving via 'fake results' like better grades than the previous year(s). Results improve as standards drop.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Tesla will do you one for £8,300. That gets you 13.5 kilowatt hours.

I know someone who has one. And solar panels. And an electric car...

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Where does 7% come from?

AKA

says it has doubled since 1992.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Its more complicated than that. The bit I have read spells out very clearly that the rise of Protestantism with it?s approach to reading the bible yourself lead to literacy and that in turn lead to very measurable changes in the wiring of the brain and that lead to the west doing all sorts of stuff the rest of the world didn?t like the industrial revolution and before that colonies etc.

I haven't yet read it all yet so its not clear if he has an explanation for why literacy didn?t produce the same result in China and Japan. That may just be because their system of writing is much harder to learn or something.

But that has nothing to do with what we are discussing, intelligence.

He does make the point that if you take a group of higher apes and humans and provide them with no tools at all, and let them see who survives best, the apes will win hands down and the humans will die out.

So isn't just intelligence, its much more about passing down the knowledge that someone has managed to discover that has made humans so much more successful.

Reply to
72y33

Seven percent is the increase of the current year over the previous one.

"Record numbers of 18-year-olds in the UK have accepted university places this year [2021], according to updated figures from the Ucas admissions service. There will be 272,500 of this age cohort starting at UK universities - up by 7% on last year."

It's the broader discussion that's been about declining student standards comparing the 1960s/1970s with today.

Interesting that the first chart in your link doesn't show any surge in numbers after 1999, when Blair declared a target of 50% participation in Higher Education. The biggest blip seen is for 2009, just before tuition fees tripled. There must be another factor.

Reply to
Pamela

Ah, OK, I see.

I cannot imagine why anybody would want to sign up for a course at the moment when COVID is disrupting things.

You'll get no social life and no teaching.

Best to get a job in a pub or something for a year (they are crying out for staff) and go back when you can do it properly.

Even our kids comment on it. And we were only just in the 1970s...

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

And compete with next year's intake for a place. Universities are under no obligation to keep the same place open.

And if you defer applying, then you are competing then and there.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Exactly. I use a slow charger at home where time is not critical but when planning a journey I look out for fast charging stations en route

Reply to
fred