Electric car

And with 4x the capacity per volume unit than its western competitors - or so the labels on the batteries say :) :)

Reply to
alan_m

Oh my! That's far worse than I would have guessed.

I found the source here:

There's a former lecturer in uk.politics who is trying to assure me university students are no less intelligent than they were 60 years ago. Yeah, right.

Reply to
Pamela

Chatting to my very well informed mechanic in the boozer yesterday, we reckoned that Lithium Ion might be close to its theoretical capacity but that nanotechnology would still be improving supercapacitors for a while yet. He thought we might see cars with both: supercapacitors for rapid charging, but lithium ion as the main store.

In the long term, for HGVs, we reckoned there would be some form of "highway charging" on motorways, interstates, etc.

Reply to
newshound

Yep!

Now all we have to do is get the prime power generation on the go so more Coal stations;)....

Sorted!...

Reply to
tony sayer

Unless evolution has reversed in a massive way or we're all suffering from a mind degenerating disease it's not that we're less intelligent it's the education system that is failing.

Reply to
Chris Green

Sadly the last people to see that are those working in the education system itself. Their complacency is part of the cause.

Reply to
Pamela

Yes I was going to post much the same.

My granddaughter, 25, recently asked me why were there bales in the fields, I was gob smacked how little she knew about farming and food production.

Reply to
AJH

However, as more students than ever are going to university, the range of intelligence encompassed must be much wider, so it will be perfectly accurate to say that the student population *IS* less intelligent than in the past, simply because more that wouldn't have got in before, can.

Reply to
Steve Walker

It's because society allows stupid people to breed.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

They might be going, but in many places like Exeter and Bristol there are far more students than accommodation, forcing many to stay in hotels, as I heard on Radio 4 earlier today.

Reply to
Andrew

I don't think that would actually make any difference. Take a population of extra smart people and have them breed only amongst themselves, and AIUI over some generations the median smarts would revert to the average of today.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Doesn?t explain how some societies have ended up more intelligent.

But I have only just started to read

72y33

The additional 7% is not drawn from the same pool as existing students but from the weaker residue.

Reply to
Pamela

Exactly what I was saying - students that would not have merited a place without the increased numbers.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Rest Ye all! StoreDot, an Israeli developer of extreme fast-charging (XFC) battery technology for electric vehicles, unveiled this month what it called the ?world?s first? silicon-dominant battery prototype capable of recharging in just 10 minutes.

Reply to
Gopalan Sampath

no it's simply that the set has increased

Back in the day only the *top* 5-10% of the population went to Uni

now it's approaching 50%

It's simply arithmetic that the average ability of the set of Uni entrants is going to be lower

Reply to
tim...

Okay thanks. I misread your post!

Reply to
Pamela

I recognise both those stats.

However someone posting in ukpm (a former maths lecturer, no less) is saying there may not have been a drop in ability at all. {sigh}

As George Orwell wrote, "One has to belong to the intelligentsia to believe things like that. No ordinary man could be such a fool."

Reply to
Pamela

Indeed. I was an admissions officer for 15 years.

I wouldn't have let me in, though - 50 years ago!

Reply to
Bob Eager

And how many Amps is that in 10 minutes from a UK mains supply? 100+ Amps for 10 minutes per 100mile range in an EV.

Reply to
alan_m