ebooks

Agreed, I suspect existing Kindle users would expect the new one to be better in all respects, not compromised in a very different way. They should've used a similar but a bit different name, like iPod versus iPad. Kandle? Fondle?

Reply to
airsmoothed

you (or anybody) know if it's possible to borrow e-books from anywhere other than your local library? (Mine doesn't do it, unfortunately) :(

David

Reply to
Lobster

Lobster wrote on Nov 19, 2011:

You need two bits of software, Calibre and a DRM removal tool. It's a bit long winded but basically the process I use is:

  1. Export the file from Kindle to your hard drive. This can be done directly or using Calibre.
  2. Use a tool to remove DRM from the exported file (Google "DRM removal" to find a suitable one. I found the tutorial here helpful: )
  3. Import the deDRMed file back into Calibre (remove the original file first).
  4. Use Calibre to convert the file to whatever format the Sony reader uses
  5. Export the book from Calibre to your Sony reader.
Reply to
Mike Lane

I'm a member of Manchester library, you can sign up from any UK address and they post the membership card out out to you

Reply to
Andy Burns

Is it possible to do the reverse ? To get a non-Kindle ebook into Kindle format ? Jim Hawkins

Reply to
Jim Hawkins

Kindles accept the .mobi format, which is a common one. If you email a .mobi file to the Kindle, it even 'converts' it to .azw.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Jim Hawkins wrote on Nov 20, 2011:

Yes. The key though is to remove DRM from the file first. Once that has been done, Calibre will convert it to whatever format you want. AZW (Amazon Word format) is basically the same as MOBI which can be used for the Kindle.

Reply to
Mike Lane

This is a very useful thread for peeps wanting to explore E-players. Elsewhere I have been pointed to:

[Give Karma]

Re: E-Reader help please

« Reply #4 on: Today at 13:24:26 »

The book will always open at the last page read also with the other kindle apps for PC,Mac,IOS and Android you can sync across all platforms so if you wish to read the same book on another device it will open at the same last page read.

You should be able to try out the kindle eReader experience by downloading the App i.e. Kindle for PC

[Give Karma]

Re: E-Reader help please

« Reply #4 on: Today at 13:24:26 »

The book will always open at the last page read also with the other kindle apps for PC,Mac,IOS and Android you can sync across all platforms so if you wish to read the same book on another device it will open at the same last page read.

You should be able to try out the kindle eReader experience by downloading the App i.e. Kindle for PC

Which gives one the opportunity to explore Kindle, prior to purchase.

Reply to
Moonraker

Excellent - have just joined, thanks!

David

Reply to
Lobster

Does Manchester library pay the postage for all and sundry to sign up? I can see that arrangement having to change

Reply to
stuart noble

I am somewhat confused here. I can only see how you can get a temporary membership, which does not allow you to borrow items, until you visit and show proof of address.

Reply to
Moonraker

That makes more sense. I know you can't join the library here without proof of ID. I hope it's changed, but at one time an ASBO was acceptable. No, you couldn't make it up

Reply to
stuart noble

Yes, it's only a stamp and a little plastic card, I can't remember if they email your membership number first, and the PIN in the post, if they do then try DDMM from the D.O.B you gave as your initial PIN!

Perhaps it benefits their funding to have more members?

Reply to
Andy Burns

I can only speak from the process several years ago, maybe sending the card in the post counts as verifying your addresss?

I've never borrowed physical items from them, just accessed online references (BSi, OED etc) and loaned ebooks.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Just noticed I can access the Times Online via my local library page without having to sign in. Why would anyone pay a subscription?

Reply to
stuart noble

Strange! I joined the Lancashire Library (although I don't live in that county) for just that reason - to access Times Online, BS documents, etc. - but I have to 'sign in' (aka input my library card number) before being given access to any of that stuff. I never had to visit the place when I joined - it was all done on-line and by post.

For some information sources, they have different access arrangements depending on whether you are physically inside a branch of the library, or doing it remotely (e.g. from home). Sadly, things like Ancestry can only be accessed from INSIDE the library.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Probably a technical glitch this end. Lots of "reorganisation" going on ATM.

Ours doesn't exactly publicise that fact either. People are totally amazed when they find out.

Reply to
stuart noble

Can anyone explain how the library e-book system works? The loan only last for, say, 14 days, after that can you no longer use the book? Why do they only have one e-book of each title, can they not make more copies and distribute them? How do they stop customers from copying the books, or corrupting them?

Reply to
Moonraker

Presume they pay to have the master copy "in" their library, and would have to pay more to allow multiple checkouts.

Encryption and rights management

Reply to
Andy Burns

The borrower doesn't return their copy to the library, so if they corrupt their copy, thet only prevent themselves reading it, not others.

Reply to
Andy Burns