ebooks

Yes, (I assume you are talking about the keyboard Kindle version here).
The non-keyboard version doesn't for some reason (product differentiation I guess)
<(Amazon.com product link shortened) VUWFE/>
--
Chris French

Add pictures here
βœ–

Does it have a speaker or is that one of the cost savings?
Add pictures here
βœ–

No speaker, no keyboard, no colour.
I have one, but I have to say Kindle on an iPhone is better than Kindle on a Kindle. The iPhone display is easier to read than Kindle grey on grey.
Stanza is better though.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Dunno
--
Chris French

Add pictures here
βœ–

You might want to look at the Kobo (available from WHSmiths in the UK). It's the same price as the Kindle, but with the more open and more available EPUB format, The hardware spec is identical (same perl screen, same processor etc, wifi onboard store etc), however the software is much better, allowing things like changing of font typefaces and stuff.
Also the Kobo has 2.5m+ ebooks available in the UK compared to Amazons 750,000.
http://www.kobobooks.com/touch_compare
Sure the Amazon is better known, but that does not make it the best. They also have a touch-screen model for £20 more (which I would personally opt for), and they have a colour model (which isn't e-ink, so I would avoid).
--

Using Opera's revolutionary email client: http://www.opera.com/mail /

Add pictures here
βœ–
Mark Gillespie wrote:

+1 to all the above.
I waited patiently for the kobo touch to be released in the UK, purchased one the day they became available, Their philosophy is more "open" then "locked-in". They don't have Amazon's marketing budget, but hopefully their new owners will push them harder.
I'm very pleased with it. Are you saying the kindle *does't* allow changing fonts/margins/linespacing? Or just not the same extent?
Kobo don't have a 3G version, but if you want to buy books when you're out and about, just tether it to a smarthone via WiFi.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 18/11/2011 08:48, Andy Burns wrote:

Having followed this thread I am converting towards e books, is there a good source for all this information and other please?

βœ–

I'm hooked on ebooks, I have a Sony Reader and REALLY pleased with it (PRS-650), reading most evenings, and the battery life is excellent about a month between charges. But the Kobo which is a gift for Xmas is equally impressive at a fraction of the cost of the Sony.
Personally I would avoid the Kindle, it doesn't support free library lending and you are locked into Amazon for ebook purchases (there are clunky and illegal ways around this by cracking the DRM an converting them, but it's a major faff).
EPUB support is what you should be looking for in any reader, and E-INK is the technology the screen should use (it only uses power to turn the page, which stays static and uses no juice until the turn the page again). Despite what some manufactuers seem to want to tell you, Backlit TFT's are not e-readers, they are tablets that can display ebooks....
I would pop into WHSMiths and take a look at a Kobo, the touchscreen-less one is £79.99 (or it might have been £89.99), and they were more than happy for me to have a tinker with one when I asked.... Like I said, it's worth paying the £20 extra for the Kobo Touch thou...
--

Using Opera's revolutionary email client: http://www.opera.com/mail /

Add pictures here
βœ–
On Fri, 18 Nov 2011 17:21:54 +0000, Mark Gillespie wrote:

Personally I would wait, now the Fire is on it's way. You'd get colour then, which could increase the range of books you would view on an eBook.
Can't see why people have such a downer on the Kindle, citing "DRM" ... true, the books you buy from the Kindle store are DRM'd, which is fair enough. But you aren't locked into *only* buying from Amazon, unlike Apple. And a properly configured Calibre install will allow you to backup and move eBooks around fairly painlessly.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Jethro wrote:

Which will mean a backlit LCD screen that's harsh on the eye, unlike the e-ink pearl screen, which, for most people is what *defines* an e-reader.

That's my main reason, why buy into a walled garden, even if you can dig your way out of it?
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Fri, 18 Nov 2011 18:05:01 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

But it's not a walled garden, is it? And no digging required. Many thousands of books in the right format, just there ready for use, outside the Amazon bookshop. People just can't seem to get that into their heads.
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

It's not so much the DRM on the Kindle books, it's the fact that you're locked out (without going through the faff I've tried out today) of not being able to read library books, which use ePuB with DRM.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Fri, 18 Nov 2011 10:07:08 -0800, airsmoothed wrote:

At present. Personally, I've given up on the local library anyway.
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org
βœ–

That's because the standard is EPUB, that's what the EBOOK world uses. It just so happens you bought a reader that was crafted to intentionally NOT support that format, meaning all your purchases come from the supplier of the loss-leader hardware. It's also not in that suppliers interests for you to borrow books for free from the library, they would rather sell you them.
You can see what's for grabs here:
http://search.overdrive.com/Most-Downloaded-Audiobooks-eBooks-Library/United+Kingdom
(then click Find at a library and it shows what UK libraries are lending that title for free).
I'm currently reading
http://ebooks.dorsetforyou.com/7C5F713E-F615-49ED-8A4A-B76434F93A05/10/525/en/ContentDetails.htm?ID {DACF14-1167-4F69-9763-7E457B48C347
--
Using Opera's revolutionary email client: http://www.opera.com/mail /

Add pictures here
βœ–
On Fri, 18 Nov 2011 22:11:39 +0000, Mark Gillespie wrote:

United+Kingdom
B76434F93A05/10/525/en/ContentDetails.htm? ID{DACF14-1167-4F69-9763-7E457B48C347
You miss the point. I wouldn't use the library anyway.
--
On 18/11/2011 22:11, Mark Gillespie wrote:

http://search.overdrive.com/Most-Downloaded-Audiobooks-eBooks-Library/United+Kingdom
Do you (or anybody) know if it's possible to borrow e-books from anywhere other than your local library? (Mine doesn't do it, unfortunately) :(
David
Add pictures here
βœ–
Lobster wrote:

I'm a member of Manchester library, you can sign up from any UK address and they post the membership card out out to you
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 20/11/2011 11:11, Andy Burns wrote:

Excellent - have just joined, thanks!
David
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 21/11/2011 07:45, Lobster wrote:

Does Manchester library pay the postage for all and sundry to sign up? I can see that arrangement having to change
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 21/11/2011 08:34, stuart noble wrote:

I am somewhat confused here. I can only see how you can get a temporary membership, which does not allow you to borrow items, until you visit and show proof of address.

βœ–