Ebay - OT

Yup. But it went to a Vox guitar amp nutter. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

What description? I didn't give you one. I have been careful not to do so because I don't want to be indentified. I know if I do tell you I could be. There aren't too many bidders on these plates , most are the same " names" over and that now includes me.

Reply to
sweetheart

For pity's sake ... if you WANT to buy one them, bang a much higher bid in about a minute before the auction ends, not just a bid that's 50p above the highest visible bid, you'll either find that the "dealer" is willing to pay substantially more than £5 for them, or you'll win it yourself, it won't necessarily cost you the full amount you bid, but be prepared that it might.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I got my old Quad power amp out of the loft, dusted it down, tested it, found it was dead. Put it on eBay and got over £100 for it (that's more than I paid for it new). Plus another £75 to ship it to Spain.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Ah, guitarists. 'Nuff said.

Reply to
Huge

Been even better if there were electric drums.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

LOL

Reply to
Huge

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Man at B&Q" saying something like:

You just don't get it, do you?

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Its possible to bid until the 'your next bid' is NOT a pound above what you bid.

At that point you know that you have bid the other guy to his max.

Had it done to me many times, so gave up.

Wife now snipes instead.

I think.

Puts an absolute max bid on to be slammed in 30 seconds before the war ends or something.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The one my ebay procuress uses waits till the last femtosecond works very well...

Reply to
tony sayer

You really are being a bit thick. If the other person bid =A31 at the last minute and you had already bid =A35, you would still only pay =A31.20 NOT =A35.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

et...

The only way they can figure it out is to become the current winning bidder by bidding more than you. At that point the price has gone above what you are willing to pay. They were willing to pay more.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

So enlighten me, if you can.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Christ, I've followed this from the start and, for the life of me, can't see what the OP's problem is. The sodding plate goes to the highest bidder. What else is there to understand?

Reply to
stuart noble

Well there is the point that the OP is a troll.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

ust Google" Auctionsniper" and follow the instructions..they will put your bid in... at the time you say...I usually say 5 sec. before the end...then you will be the winner.... if it is the highest..and no time for someone else to outbid you..that is what is being done to you....so no matter what you bid, you will only pay just above the previous highest bid... Also saves you time and frustration sitting around and the cost of this service is very low. The site gives details Worth checking. I have won lots of things this way. If you stick to a figure which is the highest you will pay, then eventually you will win one. good luck David G

Reply to
gilli

Oh do keep up at the back. Read the first paragraph.

Anyway - it works for me, so that's how I do it. What works for you is=20 presumably something different - don't get worked up about it.

--=20 Skipweasel - never knowingly understood.

Reply to
Skipweasel

It's her husband I feel sorry for.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I do that. Any earlier than 3 seconds is a waste of time. I also used to watch auctions excitedly when I first used E-Bay.

If you stick in a bid ( say =A315 for an item currently at =A32) you will usually find the seller has used another E-bay account to bid against you and push the price up. You used to be able to check up on bidders' bidding history, but E-Bay changed their rules, 2 or 3 years ago, to favour the fraudsters. E-Bay still gets their percentage. It was very common. I haven't used E-bay much since then.

I now decide what an item is worth to me and stick in a bid for that amount in the last few seconds. If someone outbids you, then it was obviously worth more to them.

I once bought a plate on E-bay and Postman Pat had played rugger with the package before it arrived; it wasn't merely broken, it had been nearly reduced to a fine powder. The insurance doesn't cover ceramics or glass and the Post Office employees see it as a challenge to ensure every fragile item is thoroughly mashed. No amount of packaging will protect it. I wouldn't bother buying plates unless you can collect them.

Reply to
Onetap

I thought they were throwing under-arm nowadays...?