Help! Can Someone Identify This Weed?

Hi,

This stuff sprang up almost overnight in my lawn. A local by-law prohibits the use of chemical herbicides, but it is only in a small patch and won't be too much work to pull out. Area is Southern Ontario Canada.

Thanks in advance.

Image at home.ca.inter.net/~deniswb/Weed1.jpg

Reply to
Denny

Ontario

Looks to me like hawkweed. This is a perennial plant whose stems exude a milky sap. A number of species exist and without the actual flowers I can't tell which is which. Leaves are basal, which seems to apply to the plant in your picture. Put "hawkweed" in a search engine and you'll get plenty of references.

Guy Bradley Chesterfield MO zone 6

Reply to
Guy Bradley