Ebay - OT

I dont think they shouldnt bid but I think they need to be honest so you can see who they are and what they are doing. Neither do I think creating a market amongst themselves really gives a true indication of the value of goods. So its all false. Thats what I object to.

Neither do I like the type of nasty bidding which waits until 1 second from the end to bid. As I said in an auction room I would have ben able to come back . In e bay there wasnt time.

Of course I was naive. I wont be the next time. I have left a good auto bid on that 99p plate. One well above what any dealer could make a profit from. I just want one poxy plate. I dont want to buy from a dealer to be sent the crappest of whatever 10 they have snapped at e bay. Thats what I object to. Ebay passing itself off as genuine when its a rip off dealers system.

Reply to
sweetheart

But then how do you judge the quality when they claim they have three items and they could send you the crappest one?

Besides I would rather give a genuine person a proper price than a dealer. Ill pay more than a dealers price to a real seller if I could figure who is who!

Reply to
sweetheart

In message , sweetheart wrote

From one extreme to the other :( Not a wise move.

Reply to
Alan

From the sound of it there are a few misconceptions here. First, eBay isn't really an auction site, it's closer to a lottery. The concept of bidding at the last second is very common (so get used to it) as it keeps prices lower that a "proper" auction. If people really did act as they would at a real-life auction, prices would increase, since everyone who was interested would bid up to their maximum. By only having one chance to bid, right at the end the number of people effectively in the auction is much less - and instead of having the chance to re-bid if they are outbid, they just guess what they think is a reasonable price and win some, lose some.

Second, the people you refer to as dealers just sound to me like more experienced ebay-ers. You have three choices: - continue using eBay in the way you think it should work. Sooner or later you'll win something. - Go elsewhere. Have you tried Amazon Marketplace? - play the game like everyone else. The market for these plates seems to be quite active, so you're just going to have to learn the new rules. At about 30 seconds to go, put your one-and-only bid into the Place Bid window ... wait .. at about 10 seconds hit Confirm ... hope.

If you haven't tumbled it already, there are some times of day (around 8pm) which appear to be peak-time for auctions. Look for auctions that are due to end at other times - they attract fewer "snipers" and often end at lower prices. Use the search facility to check for Completed Auctions to see what other people paid for items - and therefore what the "market price" is. Finally, look for nearby items where the seller permits "collection in person" as you can then bid up higher than people who would have to add in postage (though many forget to factor this cost in, when the red mist hits).

Reply to
root

Multiple buyers? Who are you kidding? There were no multiple buyers here. There was me and a blike who was a dealer ( checked his history after) who came in one second before the thing ended. I dodnt have time to top him. I did make the error of not knowing about the auto system - not as I can see whether that would have helped.

He then went on to buy two other plates, same fashion ( I watched rather than bid) , came in at the last minute and he was the only bidder on both of those as I didnt bid at all. I just watched to see what he was about. Same bloke, checked the history.

You mean cut out the dealer? So I end up paying a dealer on e bay instead? No it doesnt work does it. E bay is full of dealers and very few like me from what I can see. The only difference is, I go to a shop I know the middle man is a rip off merchant. I go to e bay to cut that out - and I am riped off because the dealers are there in force.

Its the dishonesty I object to.

Reply to
sweetheart

Probably not. I will have to see. I am assuming the auto system will buy at the lowest that a dealer refuses to pay at. If not, then I have paid too much but hey ho, its only money and I will have what I want.

Reply to
sweetheart

In message , sweetheart wrote

There are fees associated with selling and listing an item so a plate doing the rounds and not selling, or only selling to dealers who put it on another Ebay auction at around £10 is making a loss.

This how Ebay works and there is nothing nasty.

How do you know that you haven't done that now?

Welcome to the REAL world.

Reply to
Alan

Ah, is it a quiet time under the bridge today?

That isn't "the asking price" it is the initial bid value. If anyone is interested in the item the actual selling price is the one that the highest bidder is prepared to pay. Personally I'd love to get that Pinzgauer that I saw offered at a starting price of £1.

If you offer to pay what you think the item is worth then either your guess will be right and no one will outbid you or your guess will be wrong and someone will outbid you. Even if they are "sniping" at the last minute if your bid is high enough they will not be able to outbid you.

But of course you know all this and are off on your recreational trolling, again.

Reply to
Steve Firth

"sweetheart" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Does it _matter_ who the other person is? Whether they're a "dealer" or not? The only thing that matters, surely, is that they're willing to pay more than you.

Where do you think those "proper shops" should get their stock, then? And how, if not for a mark-up on their purchase price, do you think they should make a profit?

Reply to
Adrian

Well that's a failing of Ebay. The auction should continue as long as people are willing to bid. That's probably why Ebay is not used in NZ since TradeMe is better. But only New Zealanders and Australians can bid on TradeMe.

Reply to
Matty F

Matty F gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Should it? Why?

I've got some stuff listed on fleaBay at the moment. I've chosen the listing time so that I can post them in the following day or two, at a time I know I'll be about to post them once paid.

If the auction was open-ended, it's entirely feasible that it may close at a time when I'm otherwise engaged.

Reply to
Adrian

I didnt even do that. I treated it like an auction. I was there to up bid but I didnt expect a last second ( literally) bid. I wasnt aware I had to guess.

I dont think so. What genuine person buys three identical wall plates in an hour. There were no other bids on all but mine. I was the only bidder on the one I put in for. It was not multiple bidding and lots of people wanting.

You have three choices:

Oh I have l earned.

The market place isnt active. Thats the point. Its one bloke ( or woman ) buying them all up at the bottom price ( around a fiver). I suspect too he/ she is shoving them back on the bidding scene a few days later. Just like dealers do.

See I looked at it and counted up that 10 plates like the one I wanted were available. Different dates between yesterday ( when three went down) to the next week and a half.

The prices are all around £4.99 - a couple lower ( one a 99p and one at £3.50) in the next week and no interest in any of them! No bids at all.

I thought ( wrongly) " Oh loads here, enough to go round for anyone wanting this plate.( Its not that popular if som many are getting rid of it is it?) So I picked a convenient plate, bid ( not knowing I was supposed to put a max in) and waited. Was willing to go up. But given so many thought no one would come in. No interest see,

I was quite shocked when I lost it in the very last second.

I would have accepted it though , had it not ben for loking at the bidders history. He had 600 transactions in the last month. Hardley a private seller and nuyer that.

I started to move to the next plate. Something stopped me, not sure what, so I just watched it. No bids, no interest. Then one second before the end this same buyer bought the plate at £4.99 ( he had t pay £5.19 to get the one I bid on) . Then he did the same again on the next plate two hours later.

All the same plate. Took them all at the same price. I checked back today and found he had also taken another plate overnight ( again no bidders) at the same price. So four identical plates.

There is no market. Just one bloke buying them up.

So I have now gone to a plate several days hence. I made the error of bidding on it ( should have left it I suppose and come in a minute or two before it finishes but I havent. I have auto bidded it instead hoping my max will be more than the fiver this bloke wants to pay ( for God knows no one else is buying!)

But in a fair place, 10 people could have got 10 plates without hassling each other and then some over .

Yes there are " buy now" plates at £10 ( £9.99 actually) in the " shops" on e bay. But how can I say they are what I want? they may not have the quality of the ones I looked at. But now I dont want that on principle. Its worng.

This thing I am after is 1970's tat. It wont be on Amazon. I checked

Its only one buyer buying them all. Thats my point. There isnt a market here as far as I can see other than what is being created by dealers swinging the plates round from auction to acution.

Reply to
sweetheart

Yup - I'm suspicious of on the one hand sweetheart's reasonably articulate postings, and otoh her inability to resolve very basic domestic issues.

To summarise this one: Ebay doesn't work the way she *thinks* it should. She's upset. Reality adjustment required.

Reply to
dom

Yes I do seem to generate argument. It isnt intened. I am not trolling. Its genuine. You can say what you like to the contrary. I guess I am just naive and don't understand the world. If you don't want to talk to me, then don't answer. Surely thats easy enough isn't it?

Reply to
sweetheart

But you just said that you "don't like the dealer buying from under me and then trying to sell it on to me", yet if money were no oject as you indicate above what is the problem with that?

BTW, could you use a less irritating newsreader than Windows Mail? WM makes the baby Jesus cry and it is Sunday.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I wouldn't mind if the stuff seemed to be getting through to those proper shops! It seems to just be going round on e bay. I don't mind if its up front. E bay isn't up front. Thats all I am saying. Thanks anyway.

I have learned. I am annoyed ( hence the rant). I will get a plate. I wont be done down. I do think there are a few genuine sellers and I am genuine as a buyer. I hope we find each other. I think you can tell * genuine buyers don't have 600 transactions in a month ..... genuine sellers will probably tell you something about the items history in the description.

But not always. Like with my house ( my aunts as was that is which I am selling now) sometimes builders come along and claim they are first time buyers when they aren't. Cant understand why ( except perhaps people wont sell to them?) I found out I was lied to before I accepted any offers. Next door neighbour told me about it. They too are selling and this " first time buyer" ( who had three other houses in the road) had done the same to them.

I just don't understand why people have to deceive that way.

Reply to
sweetheart

Who decides when that is? This is an on-line auction, it's not supervised by an auctioneer. The only way that a bidder can register an interest is to bid.

In effect the auctions do go on as long as people are willing to bid, they simply have to register in advance their maximum bid. They may well win the auction for less than the maximum they are prepared to bid because no one else has entered a higher bid.

Nah, it's because Kiwis are locked in the 1950s and probably haven't managed to work out how to communicate by that new-fangled telegraphic apparatus.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Yeah, that's what all the trolls say.

Reply to
Steve Firth

You can't have an inactive market as you've posited. If there was no market the person wouldn't be buying, to sell on. If this person is the only one buying, then he/she/it can't be "shoving them back on the bidding scene a few days later." as there wouldn't be anyone (except themselves and you) trying to buy them. So, I gotta say: there appears to be something else going on.

Either the buyer _really_ likes this "1970's tat" or they have an alternative means of disposing of it at a profit. Whether that's a market stall, gen-yooooo-ine antique business or is shipping them in bulk to another country doesn't really matter. If they've discovered a market, then that sets the going rate, whether you think they are "inflated prices" or not. No doubt once you consider the cost of your time (you said in the original post, that you work) the cost of travelling around with petrol costing 15p/mile etc. you may well discover that those "inflated prices" work our cheaper than the DIY / eBay method of buying.

Reply to
root

What do you mean by "posting them"? Have you not done that already when you started the auction? If you are the seller why does it matter that you might be otherwise engaged? The way Ebay woirks is not the best way, for sure.

Reply to
Matty F