Ebay - OT

Eh? eBay is intended to allow sellers to generate the maximum profit on their sales.

More accurattely it's intended to maximise eBay's profits, but since they're generated partly as a proportion of total cash value then it's in two out of the three parties' interests to drive the price as high as possible. It's only the buyer who wants low prices.

Reply to
Skipweasel

Let's hope this bloody plate and this bloody matching clock don't get broken in the post

Reply to
stuart noble

So worthless crap then.

It is obvious that this dealer is stalking you via eBay. I would call the police if I was you.

It starts off with a plate and a clock but it ends up with your knickers going missing from your washing line and ending up on eBay described as "used".

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I havent said anywhere that it wasnt. I think I called it "tat" In my case I am buying for a sentimental reason.

Dont be silly. However, I do think there is some milage in what a poster said about shilling ( right word?) Apparently it is allowed. I was reading e bay Shillers protect their identities with something listed as " private bidders identities protected" - and this is what this guy is doing. Its used when something is sensitive and e bay say, dont bother to bid if this happens. The trouble is I have already bid before he came in.

I have been trying to look up what to do.

Reply to
sweetheart

Perhaps he likes the plate?

Reply to
Steve Firth

Hmmm, dunno Adam. Erindoors has a set of plates that depict the four seasons. They don't do much for me, but I know that they are worth a serious amount of dosh, especially in America because they were hand painted at a pottery in a village in Italy famous for the quality of the ceramics. I'm afraid that as far as I'm concerned if you can't eat off it or drink out of it, what's the point?

What I can't understand with the girl wonder is why bother to buy one of a set? Generally if there are four then buying all four makes more sense.

Reply to
Steve Firth

So this guy has hidden his identity and you know for certain that it is him bidding on every item that you want buy on eBay. How odd that he bid on the clock that you looked at.

I could make a suggestion:-)

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Its a girl thing I suppose. I doubt you understand that. Its a sentimental thing. In my case it doesn't have to make sense to anyone except me.

Reply to
sweetheart

I assume "worth serious amounts of dosh" does not mean that you can buy them individually for a tenner like the OP's desired plate:-) She has seen the one she wants on "buy it now" for £10

Don't get me started with what we could be consider crap. My Dad deals in crested china and uses eBay a lot. The Yanks pay (or used to pay) silly money for it. I cannot stand the stuff. Each to their own.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

He must love it the number he now has. I can just imagine he has a room dedicated to this plate on all the walls. Maybe he has? Maybe I am mis judging him

Reply to
sweetheart

Very informative posting from John (as usual!)

Reply to
newshound

No I am sorry I think I have confused you with two separate things. I said I have a bidder now pushing up a bid I put on a different plate under the title " bidders identities hidden ( or whatever). I looked that up because it seemed odd and I found a listing on e bay advice which said steer clear of such bidders because its usually shilling.

However, I have already put my bid in and this bidder is now pushing it up

50 p at a time ( remember I am on automatic with a top bid already in because thats what I was told to do here). So I guess they are trying to work out where my maximum is?
Reply to
sweetheart

That's just how I bought my cement mixer from ebay.

I increased my bids slowly until I was the winning bidder.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

You started it.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I agree.

BTW, no plates with the description that you gave exist on ebay.

Reply to
Steve Firth

My wife collects pottery from Deruta and Castelli. I don't like it much, but it changes hand for silly money. In America it's even more silly. A plate that would sell for £25 in Italy, probably around £30 in the UK will sell for hundreds of dollars and I've seen broken plates offered for $800 or more. Madness.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Maybe you're a troll.

I win.