Ebay returns rant.....

....And a heads up.

Received an item, it doesn't fit, ie. it's incorrect.

So i've tried to return it through ebay's process and selected 'it doesn't fit'.[1] Ebay were trying to charge me postage, I don't want to pay postage through ebay as they are charging about what the item is worth and in any case return postage should be at the sellers cost. (As it is i'm not that tight but it could have been posted as a large letter whereas ebay are trying to charge me for a packet)

So I try to start a new return, noting that in the options is 'more reasons', clicking this displays 'item description incorrect'. We try that. But apparently there is already a return open now. You can't edit a return reason and if you close a return you can't start a new one. Arse.

[1] Presumably this is pertinent to clothes and similar.
Reply to
R D S

Sounds like the person designing he software does not live in the same universe as the restof us. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

Did you first contact the seller rather than 'eBay'?

With something that small I normally find they will either just send out another one (if they have the right size) for free and tell me to keep the wrong one or refund the total and tell me I can keep the wrong one.

Most eBay sellers don't want to risk any bad feedback and hence why it's always best to contact them directly first with a polite / informative request (not saying you haven't if you did). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I had a faulty charger and they sent me a replacement with an apology.

Reply to
Scott
<snip>

Quite.

I have been offered to keep all sorts of things where they have been supplied incorrectly (short plugs that should have been long, 6mm ID ring terminals that were actually 5mm etc).

A classic thing, especially from China is for stuff to not appear within their predicted timescale's. Once contacted they will often just resend and it has been know for the first batch to appear out of the postal system (late). I always tell the sender and offer to pay for the duplicates but they rarely accept my offer, giving me the stuff instead.

I have also been asked to check with the local Post Office (where the seller may have tracking or the item was more valuable) and *have* found undelivered items with them where no card was left.

A picture, a good explanation of why it's wrong (after confirming you ordered the right thing of course) and they are usually very responsive.

I think I've only ever (in 1750+ eBay transactions) had to raise the issue with eBay themselves and in both cases they took my side and instructed the seller to offer a refund (and they did).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

That was my first instinct, but I read his feedback (which I should have done before ordering the item :rollseyes:) and decided that was pointless.

I have contactaed them since. we'll see what happens. It's only a few quid.

The ebay process steers you, contact seller - i'd like to return my item......

Reply to
R D S

Indeed, 'it didn't fit' usually means the item is the right size but the user is the wrong size. Although it would be difficult to prove that an item of clothing wasn't 'Extra Large' given everyone's definition of XL varies wildly.

'Not as described' would be what you want.

Contacting CS is the thing to do.

I had this where I ordered an 8 quid item from Amazon and their returns was railroading me into paying 4 quid for return postage. What irritated me was there was no 'I'll pay my own postage' option - and pocketing pennies here and there is how they make their money. I moaned at CS and they gave me a return address and said they'd refund postage if I emailed a receipt. It cost a quid at the Post Office (I CBA to scan the receipt), and the refund did come through when it arrived at their end.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Yup, easily forgotten in the moment ...

Whilst you might be right, it does make me wonder if some of the bigger sellers attract false neg feedback from their rivals?

Let us know. ;-)

It does indeed and I generally ignore that and go straight to 'contact seller'. This advice is often offered by the sellers themselves as they are so keen to avoid negative feedback before they get the chance to remedy the situation.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m
<snip>

I just returned a dog bed that was much bigger than advertised [1]. They got DHL to collect it (foc to me) and gave me a collection time range between 9am and 5pm on an agree day. Not looking forward to having to hang about for the day, I was actually pleased when they collected it at 8:30 am. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

[1] Their stated dimension didn't match the actual by quite a percentage.

p.s. We have a dog that when stretched out can easily take up 2 seats on the sofa but when curled up only takes the space of a large cat. ;-)

Reply to
T i m

Beware of buying clothes from China - their XL is probably our XS. And there are some pretty funny pics of clothes from China being not really what was shown in the ads.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Whether or not to automatically pay return postage is at the discretion of the seller, unless the goods are faulty in some way. In which case, raise a dispute.

I've just returned a faulty keyboard, and that did give a pre-paid return label.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)
<snip>

I think we all might typically check the sellers feedback history (if they are Chinese seller with tens of thousands of sales you might accept a slightly lower feedback rating than someone with only a few sales), check the returns rules and whilst considering the cost of the item (in general) or when compared with 'better sources, buy or not.

Ironically, I've also paid more to get a few of something I need quickly (where they say it will be with me in a couple of days) from the UK ... and because I will need more, also order more for less from a Chinese supplier, only to get the one from the Chinese seller first (when they say the items could be delivered in a couple of weeks).

I just had delivered from CPC a 10M 13A trailing lead with a double socket that only took up 1/6th of the box they put it in. The box has 'OVERPACK' on it so maybe they already know. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

You gotta try and stay one jump ahead, I had a delivery via ebay delivered by Hermes, I made a claim knowing they would ask for pictures and attempt the `not properly packed`scenario so I repacked the box with polstyrene on all sides to the point it would negate their claim it wasnt properly packed, then I took pictures and sent to them, credit was forthcoming.

Ebay ...as much as I dont like them considering all options I think they are reasonably fair, with over a couple thousand transactions I have not yet lost a single penny, I had to replace a couple of items that buyers claimed they never recieved but thats about it. £2 value so just credited them.

Reply to
ss

Quite. The percentage of transactions where you'll likely have a problem no worse than anywhere else.

I remember buying something from Argos. On opening it at home, it was obviously a return and badly re-packed. And the batteries for the remote control missing (instructions said provided) All Argos offered was a refund. But I did want the item, so had to take the hit.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Last summer we bought an induction hob from Appliances Direct for £775, now retailing direct from Bosch for nearly £900. It arrived with the glass top smashed with cracks emanating from a single point on one edge, it was obviously dropped on a hard corner in transit. I duly photographed the damage and requested a replacement. I was contacted by the seller that a replacement was on the way, when I asked about the damaged one they simply said dispose of it they did not want it back. I checked on the Bosch website and a replacement glass top at the time was £195 retail and probably cheaper for the trade. The glass was held on by twelve screws a repair job that would take all of 10mins. You would have thought under the circumstances they would took it back and done the repair even if they could only sell it on as a second!

Anyway anyone interested in a brand new unused hob worth circa £800 just needs a £204 glass top attaching?

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Fix it yourself and re-sell on Ebay?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

have you tested it to see if the glass was the only thing broken?

Reply to
Robin