Driving Licence

Mine was sent off to have some points added about 20 years ago, it came back with them scribbled on in biro, were plastic licences a thing back then?

Reply to
Andy Burns
<snip>

Name dropper ... in the Lambo or the Ferrari were you? ;-)

You live and learn etc. Is it the same idea as our 'Built up areas'?

Hehe. I think we are obliged to ensure it's not 'defaced' or damaged and I have though about sending it off for the new style one as it would be handy to use them as 'Photo ID'.

Oh, so a 'no no' then, seen as a potential form of aggression?

I (like you potentially) would have thought getting out 'normally' and meeting them half way would indicate you don't intend driving off and showing some consideration / compliance (given we can't legally own carry hand guns etc)?

I can see why maybe in places where you can, it might be safer for them if you stayed sitting in your vehicle (especially if it was just a car, rather than a pickup or truck).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I don't think anyone was looking for a guarantee, just a general idea? ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

yes - but with the paper counterpart which showed entitlements and was sent off for endorsements

Reply to
Robin

My parents have been at their present address since 1977. I *think* they have plastic licences. I've never though to ask, because I assumed (fatal!) that at some stage plastic photo licences had been rolled out to everyone. Can people *choose* to get a plastic licence even if there is no actual requirement for one to be issued when an address change.

I'm sure I received a letter from DVLA pointing out the advantages of a plastic licence (use as de-facto ID in lieu of the national ID card that the UK does not have) etc.

What about people who passed their test when red booklet licences were still being used? Were those replaced by the computer-printed paper ones, or was that also only done when the address changed or endorsements/points needed to be added?

Reply to
NY

Yes, tjis is what I did many years ago.

The photo on your passport and the one on your driving license can be the same.

I renewed my license a few weeks ago and they used the photo from my passport which was renewed two years ago. I filled in my details on-line on a Sunday evening and had my new driving license the next Wednesday through the post.

Reply to
alan_m

not even that

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

no shit Sherlock

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

costs money and I'm cheap

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Sadly, it was the hire car that I'd just picked-up at the airport.

I yielded and changed to a laminated one quite a while ago.

It was night time. As soon as I opened the door a spotlight was switched-on and, as I started walking, I realised that one guy was behind a door and had a gun while the other guy was holding back. Self preservation kicked-in so I stopped and started speaking in a "slightly affected" English accent, things then relaxed a little.

I discussed this in work later and all the locals were astonished I'd left the car. I was told the rule is stay in the vehicle with hands on the wheel.

Reply to
nothanks

For those that still have an old style paper licence (or before) and haven't migrated to the credit-card sized photo style, if they want to drive in the EU, it might be easier to upgrade now (either that or get an IDP)

Allan

Yes. They need you to be where, if you have any ideas, you're at a disadvantage. So hands on the wheel. Further, if your drinks bottle falls to the car floor and starts discharging its content, let it do that. Suddenly diving to the floor to retrieve it increases your chance of being Exhibit A down at the morgue.

Their reaction as observed by you was SOP.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I was watching Homes under the Hammer at 10:40-ish and Martin was filming in Renfrewshire at the old fire station that looks like a gothic castle (which had been sold at auction for just £49K !!!) when a red mustang with two black stripes front to back over the bonnet, drove past. It was a repeat of an old program circa 2015??. Was that your car ?.

Reply to
Andrew

Yes, here for one.

Filed away with MOT certificates, registration documents, insurance certificates, receipts for spares, servicing and repairs, etc.

Where?

How do you expect me to know?

That's the job of domestic management,

Reply to
JNugent

Fact: They *never* ask for that in the USA.

Reply to
JNugent

In times BC but since the DVLA invented the code system I've rented cars in several countries but never been asked for it. If the overseas car hire companies know about this unique-to-the-UK feature they may think it not worth the bother. Actually I'm not certain is is unique to us but have never come across other countries with a similar system.

Reply to
Clive Page

Do they not have penalty points for driving violations? Maybe hire companies just assume you're as bad as can be and charge accordingly.

Reply to
Max Demian

No, they fine you and get you to go to traffic school (or the fine doubles).

Reply to
Tim Streater

So in the USA, is your offence "spent" as soon as you have paid the fine and/or gone on the course? Do they not have the concept of penalising you if you accumulate a large number of offences *within a given period of time* - is every offence treated in isolation?

Reply to
NY

Didn't seem to. Mind you all I got was two speeding tix in 13 years so what might have happened if you got one a month, I don't know.

Reply to
Tim Streater