Cement mixer

Anyone got one? Are you glad you have it or do you wish you'd hired as and when?

And what have you got, is there any point buying something other than a Belle?

I've a few jobs to do and i'd probably get stuck in if I had the convenience of owning one, what about a smaller cheaper version like this?

I live to regret it do we think?

Reply to
R D S

It's an awfully large thing to store if not used a lot?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

I have one that's essentially the same as that, got it for a song off gumtree, used to be fine when I had a estate it would fit in, then changed car and had a couple of jobs at dad's where I couldn't take it, now I have a trailer, so it'd be fine in future.

Would I have bought it at full price? probably not, I'd managed with one of the octagonal mixing trays until then ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

I picked up a genuine electric Belle second-hand about 20 years ago (eBay perhaps?). Doesn't get much use these days but still handy to have if mixing more than say 30kg. Half the paint has fallen off but the drum has not rusted through yet.

Reply to
newshound

The one I have comes apart easily and into relatively light components.

Like mine, this has legs that fold under so it will likely fit into a car. The drum can be removed with a single nut. You may need to dismantle further to get in a boot. Even the drum splits into 2 parts.

YMMV

Reply to
Fredxx

I have the no name Screwfix version of the Belle type. I haven?t used it for a while but should get some use this Summer when I have some decking to install. As far as paying for itself it did that in a matter of weeks when I used it doing some work in the garden I 2019. Owning one takes the pressure off regards completing a job compared to hiring, prices round here vary from £25 - £50 pw. I paid circa £200 for mine. After Summer I should have completed all work that will need a mixer for and I hope to sell it then and have tried to keep it as clean as possible. In the meantime I have plenty of space to store it in the garage and at some time it will end up stored in the back garden under a cover.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Many years ago I bought a second-hand one and it got used a lot. One day I loaned it to my (fairly switched-on, I thought) neighbour and later spotted him loading it with the drum stationary - I educated him on the error of his ways but it was near the end of the day and the damage was done. The next time I tried to use it the motor died part way through a big mix :-( If you decide to buy one DON'T start it when loaded.

Reply to
nothanks

Best bargain I ever bought.

Paid £200 for it from ebay and it was almost brand new (one patio job).

It's been rented out for crates of beer or the odd £10/£20 that many times since I bought it that has paid for itself 6 times over.

Ill drop it off at yours this weekend in return for a discount on some new sunglasses if you want:-)

Reply to
ARW

Yes Lou made me take it out the lounge and put it in the shed.

Reply to
ARW

I'd buy a Belle if I were you. It's surprising how many little jobs a mixer is useful for. I store mine in the shed, and it doesn't actually take up much room because it's possible to put things in the drum, under the mixer, on top of the mixer, and under the handle.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

I sold mine for a fiver when I hadn't used it for 15 years.

Bulky things to store

I'd probably hire one if I needed it for one job

Last year I mixed two tons of concrete entirely in buckets on a succession of sunny days. It was OK

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

My uncle has one and everyone borrows it for whatever needs doing. I shall be borrowing it soon for an extension to my garage.

I last borrowed it about 11 years ago for my conservatory and my dad borrowed it last year for his patio.

It's very cheap that way and no storage problems either!

Reply to
Steve Walker

I'm reading a book about vacuum cleaners, but it sucks. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

You could always get into polishing stones with it I suppose... Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

yup

Glad I have it, and although not used that often, it's nice to not have to plan ahead hiring etc. Since I got given it, I can't argue with the price.

Mine is a Bell (I think! - its slightly hard to tell since it is so beaten up, and there is not much orange left on it)

For light use, anything will probably work. You may find the "portable" format mixers with separate stand a bit easier to store.

Reply to
John Rumm

If you have a place to "hide" it then go for it. I wasted time looking for a 2nd hand one to build my pond and just bought a Belle from Wickse. Think it was about £180 at the time and 2n'd hand prices were almost that for ones that looked knackered.

Done loads of jobs now. Still use the wheel barrow to mix up smaller loads but for any job big enough to require a dumpy bag of sand or dust-chippings it's a no brainer.

Mine sits in the garden behind a bush under a dumpy bag, bag handles tied together underneath.

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

Brookside ?.

Reply to