Don't try this at home

John J Armstrong

Not very impressed with the fire protection in the building, if a fire in one flat destroyed the whole building before the fire brigade managed to deal with it.

Reply to
Tim Watts

There are some very strange ideas in some peoples heads one has to say.

1001 uses for heat shrink sleeving written by P Y Row-maniac. Brian
Reply to
Brian Gaff

Maybe these are the new age firemen proposed by our nice Home Secretary. I'd imagine they have a meeting about elf and safety before attending. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Nothing wrong with using a heat source *carefully* to speed up the thawing of ice. Done it myself many times.

The bigger question is why wasn't the inferno contained within the kitchen of the flat ?. How did the fire spread through the ceiling into the roof structure ?. A standard plasterboard ceiling should have given 30 minutes protection. Enough time for the fire brigade to take action. Did someone do a refurb and cut loads of holes in the ceiling for downlighters (and not bother with fire/smoke hooods)?.

Reply to
Andrew

May have been a newer fridge using R 6oo refrigerant (butane)

Reply to
F Murtz

"The 85-year-old is believed to have been blasted across a kitchen when the electrical appliance exploded at a property in affluent Thorntonhall on the edge of Glasgow".

Does sound a bit like that.

Reply to
newshound

Well these were luxury flats costing 1/4 million pound each.

well it is Glasgow you'd be lucky to get a space for your wheelie bin for 1/4 million in London ;-)

Makes me wonder what the quality of build the affordable appartments are if luxury ones go up in flames so quickly.

Reply to
whisky-dave